bio filter

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I get foam once in a while. I met a guy that had a large pond and his waterfall produced a lot of foam. I didn't ask him if he had salt in it though.

ahh that would be the reason that the pond would foam...i keep forgetting that most people salt their ponds

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very slowly, it has acme threads and takes many turns to open. A ball valve opens instantly and provides the flush required to evacuate the sludge.

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
DrCase said:
It looks like it works,, Koden ,nice pics

yeah glad i help this forum,lol..i will get other one like that..sorry ya wait for me post pic..:banghead3:

Reaction score
I am going to make a barrel filter for my future 400g pond but I had a question about the pump. Do you just drop it in the pond or do you make some kind of cover to keep the pump from clogging? Or is there a certain pump that doesn't clog as easy?

By the way this is a great site with loads of info.:biggrin:

Thanks Wolfie

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Mine are sitting on the bottom. I pull it out once a year and clean the inlet if it slows down.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Welcome aboard.

Mine are sitting on the bottom. I pull it out once a year and clean the inlet if it slows down.

Thats what I thought, I didn't know if you added any kind of screen to it to keep any leaves from clogging the intake.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
depends on your pump...i use a tetra pond pump and a prepump filter(barrel style). and since the submersable pumps have more pull than push. i locate my pump close to the filter(bio), and run hose and prefilter on the bottom of pond to the far side of pond. this way, i loose less water flow thru filtration system. works great. i have two prefilters,spread out to pull water from different areas.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
my pump came with a cage built around it to keep the leaves at bay.
I pull it up once and a while.

Reaction score
i put my pumps on the bottom...it depends on your pump...some pumps are better at passing debris than others...but basically you just need a strainer on the intake

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured thats what most people did. Just have to wait until it warms up so I can start digging. :icon_mrgreen:

Ask a Question