BIO Media question

Reaction score
I think that I have a leak in the pond (GRRRRRR). I have to go through the steps and figure out where it is. I do this by only running one thing at a time and monitoring the water level. first thing I do is top off the pond and stop the waterfall and stream and see if the water drops. If it dosent start the waterfall and monitor water level. then turn off the water fall and turn on the stream...... And continue until the leak is found. On my main bio filter which runs the stream I have the capability to shut off the output and fill it up before I turn off the pump so that my bio media stays submerged under the water rather than dry out and kill all of the good bio that I have going. On the water fall it is just a waterfall bio box that will empty as soon as I turn off the pump so I will loos all of the bacteria in that one. I have 17 koi and don't want to have no or not enough bio this late in the game.

Now to the questions:
1) Is it even worth it to keep the bio media submerged or will it die anyway?
2) How long will my good bacteria stay alive submerged in the bio filter with out water flow or new water being introduced?
3) How long will the koi be ok with out filtration and water flow?
4) Am I going about finding the leak properly?
5) am I missing anything lol

Sorry for all the questions but when I built the pond and repaired leaks I didn't have the fish to worry about so this is new to me. I attached a pick of the pond if that helps

Thanks
DT

Attachments

• POND3.jpg
    POND3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 300
Reaction score
Doubble Tap,

I am only a novice pond person, but I believe that the beneficial bacteria requires much oxygen and nutrients to sustain (its) life. Constant water flowing though the media that the bacteria have made their home upon should probably be sufficient in most cases, but I would be apprehensive about allowing the bacteria to "sit" under stagnant (non-moving) water or allowing it to dry out entirely in the absence of water flow.

I consider the beneficial bacteria to be like a frog (or other amphibian) or a fish. They each require oxygen (as well as the moisture to allow them to absorb the oxygen and to gather nutrients).
The absence of any one of these would be detrimental. However, for a short term such as maybe several hours or one day, and depending upon your system setup, the bacteria and the fish may not be adversely affected during your troubleshooting. You kind of have to take some risks here as your troubleshooting endeavor requires you to do so as there aren't many other simple methods to isolate the source of the leak otherwise.

If you can recirculate the water and aerate each portion of your pond system individually, by using some inexpensive pumps, you could still isolate each section and keep all individual divisions operational without fret and worry about your bacteria or fish cultures being harmed. That should buy you plenty of time to isolate the section where the leak is occurring.

I would be more worried about the Koi than the bacteria. The bacteria can rebound as long as kept moist. The fish could suffer irrepairable damage (to their gills and blood, etc) if not maintained with sufficient oxygen and especially if the ammonia and nitrite levels spike high.

I personally don't know of any other sure fire method to isolate and identifiy the source of the leak.

Catfishnut

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
DOUBBLE TAP said:
I think that I have a leak in the pond (GRRRRRR). I have to go through the steps and figure out where it is. I do this by only running one thing at a time and monitoring the water level. first thing I do is top off the pond and stop the waterfall and stream and see if the water drops. If it dosent start the waterfall and monitor water level. then turn off the water fall and turn on the stream...... And continue until the leak is found. On my main bio filter which runs the stream I have the capability to shut off the output and fill it up before I turn off the pump so that my bio media stays submerged under the water rather than dry out and kill all of the good bio that I have going. On the water fall it is just a waterfall bio box that will empty as soon as I turn off the pump so I will loos all of the bacteria in that one. I have 17 koi and don't want to have no or not enough bio this late in the game.

Now to the questions:
2) How long will my good bacteria stay alive submerged in the bio filter with out water flow or new water being introduced?

Sorry for all the questions but when I built the pond and repaired leaks I didn't have the fish to worry about so this is new to me. I attached a pick of the pond if that helps

Thanks
DT

Nice looking, clear looking pond!! :claphands:

In addition to what Catfishnut provide, also you coud place a small airstone with cheap aquarium air pump to provide the filter some oxygen. Due to lack of nutrients, the bacteria will eventually hibernate and die off, but they will still bounce back. How long can they be deprive of nutrients? It's anybody's best guess, but they will still bounce back.

Refer to #1.

I would put some airstones in there. Anybody's best guess how long they will last. Personally, I think you should have a pond aerator anyways. It is just a good investment to have especially when you have to turn off your pumps.

Since I enjoy dark humor, I am going to say NO !! :cheerful: :bdaybiggrin:

But sounds like you are going right about it and will find and correct the leak. :cheerful:

Probably, so give us a yell when ya figure what you are missing. ;) :bdaybiggrin:

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply's. Ok so plan B I have a small 250 gal per hour pump prob the size of a jar of tomato sauce. I am going to fill up the bio box 1/4 way just enough to cover the pump submerge the pump in the box and run the line right back into the box at the top to give myself the best shot at keeping the bio and put the bio from the falls into the one filter when I shut that one off. Hopefully it all works

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
petco sells a 4 port pump for less than 30 dollars and comes with every thing .

Reaction score
Update:
I had an idea of where the leak would be. If you look at the picture under the biggest rock between the stream and waterfall. I had patched some holes in the liner when I first fixed the pond using a fiew diff glues finally settling on PL glue it was the only one that worked but the one patch that did hold with the silicone so I left it alone. Guess which one stopped working lol. I drained the pond down a foot to be able to get at the patch resealed it with the pl last night and tonight I will fill it back up. I had to shut down the water fall box but was able to keep my main bio filter running. No noticeable water loss since last night so I think that I got the problem. hopefully the other patches will hold through the winter so that I can just replace the liner with a new one in the spring time next year.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, silicone is not the greatest at all, but I might have used the wrong type. I always had better luck with the PL glue.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had great luck with the pl roofing goop, black, stays flexible, water proof. I have fixed a few holes that I made and they are still holding a few years later.

Ask a Question