BIO MEDIA QUESTION

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was just reading some articles/posts about waterfalls and something caught my attention. Is this something I need to worry about?

I plan to have my filter "out" be my waterfall source. What if I have to make repairs on the w/fall which would require stopping the water flow -- wouldn't that be detrimental to the bio-media [depending on how long]? If so, should my build plans include some sort of back-up/alternate way to keep the filter going, bypassing the w/fall?

Or am I over-thinking?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
the bio mass in the filter can last for several hours if there is some oxygen flow in the filter. If for some reason you had shut down the water fall for repair you can always just attach a piece of PVC temporally and direct the flow straight to the pond and by-pass the water fall while you work on it.

Reaction score
the bio mass in the filter can last for several hours if there is some oxygen flow in the filter. If for some reason you had shut down the water fall for repair you can always just attach a piece of PVC temporally and direct the flow straight to the pond and by-pass the water fall while you work on it.

Fish4cars,

I never really felt concerned about this issue nor did I ever stop to ponder it before, but I thought that they would live much longer than that, provided they didn't dry out or boil or freeze. I am sure severa hours be be long enough to get work done, regardless.

Gordy

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I never worried about it and have shut down my waterfall for several hours when redoing the rocks.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just had another thought, if you are worried about it couldn't you just take it out and put it in the pond? I use the poly strapping like stuff so I would just put it in a laundry basket bag thingy and let it sit in the pond while i work on it.

Reaction score
Just had another thought, if you are worried about it couldn't you just take it out and put it in the pond? I use the poly strapping like stuff so I would just put it in a laundry basket bag thingy and let it sit in the pond while i work on it.

Todd,

I can see that being a wise idea, especially if you have to shut down the whole system for a day or more. But, if you just had a few hours of work to do, I would think that it would be better to just leave it be, wouldn't you? If the system can keep running and just bypass the waterfall works as Fishin4cars said, that would be best, I think.

Gordy

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah I would only do this if it was going to be down for days. Several years ago I completely redid my waterfall in two days and I never did anything with the media just let it sit in the filter, not sure if it harmed it or not.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I put my "filter" temporarily in the pond, would I need to divert the water or add bubbles to keep the little bacteria oxygenated?

Reaction score
If I put my "filter" temporarily in the pond, would I need to divert the water or add bubbles to keep the little bacteria oxygenated?

M,

No, I really don't think so. It should be sufficient to just keep them in a large volume of water (not too hot nor too cold and not without some O2). Personally, I think it is ok to leave the biomass in the filter canister or the same tub where they are usually kept for a day or maybe two, depending upon the size of the vessel.

If the water in the vessel doesn't get above 94°F or below 34°F for very long and the bacteria aren't removed from the water for extended times (so that they might dry out) I believe that they will be just fine. If you do a lot of relocating the bacteria and media, I think you would be doing more harm than good, unless you do plan to be down for an extended time (more than two days).

I would not worry about such things very much. These bacteria are pretty hardy. You might stick a bubbler in the tank if you expect to be down very long. That will help circulate the water and oxygenate it too, but for a short period of time, its probably not anywhere near necessary. Besides, the bacteria will come back on their own when conditions are proper.

Someone with $100,000 worth of Koi in their pond might disagree with me, but with that much at stake, I wouldn't take any chances either. Turtles and golfish? I wouldn't give it one thought. You'll be fine with your enterprise and you don't have to be stressed about anything, just enjoy it all!

Your main concern is keeping the pond looking and smelling nice, the fish and turtles won't mind if you are a little behind in housekeeping from time to time. For the most part, YOU are the only one that is going to notice.

Gordy

Ask a Question