biofilter cleaning

Reaction score
I have a new pond approx. 4800 gals. I am using a 150gal Rubbermaid stock tank for a bio filter using the scrubbing pads. Mine is looking rather mucky. How often do you need to clean it or how do you know when it needs cleaned. According to the web site where I got the information, you dont have to clean it.
Also I have access to just tons of Frogbit plants so I put a bunch in the pond and also on top of the biofilter. I really believe these plants were doing more harm than good. Before I removed them, the filter was looking really bad. Since then it is looking alot better but the pads look pretty dirty. I have been putting bacteria in the pond on a regular basis. So what is your ideas.
Thanks

Reaction score
The first thing is not use either too cold or too hot water when you clean it because it will kill the bacteria. Also, if the flow is not slowed down too severely, I would not bother. Trickling more slowly through it gives the bacteria more of a shot at doing their job anyways. :)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you dont have a flush a flush valve i would install one...if its not too much trouble.....a 2" shower drain some 2" pipe and a ball valve...thats all you need......it makes waterchanges easier as well, while removing waste from your system. drain your filter and replace the water.. your done !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you use a well check the ph, mine runs in the 5 range, esp for adding water to the pond.

You will learn the flow of the pond, when to clean when not to with time.

Ask a Question