Black vinyl or corrugated?

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to add a new submersible pump to my pond to feed a vase-fountain and a cast iron antique water pump I inherited. My pump will take 3/4 inch tubing and it seems that I could either go with the plain black vinyl or corrugated. It sounds like corrugated might be the way to go but I've seen that some folks in this forum have had bad luck working with corrugated.

What is everyone else using?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! One thing, is where do you live? Temperature (esp. cold) will probably have the greatest effect on the tubing, but then so will sun exposure....

I have a couple of smaller pumps attached to "spitter-type" things, and I use the plain black tubing for those -- have NEVER had a problem! Mine take 1/2", and I use the black pond tubing from Home Depot/Lowe's, but if I recall, it does come in 3/4" size.

Any time you use tubing, keep in mind that you will have some resistence from the interior surface of the tubing as the water flows through it. Any corrugated tubing will offer more resistence than a tubing that's smooth inside. The amt. of resistence may never ever ever be an issue, but something to keep in mind.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in Southern California so I don't have much of a freezing problem. Right now I've got a smaller pump and I'm using the clear tubing that is pretty stiff to work with. I was hoping the black vinyl or corrugated would have some 'give' to it and let me run it on the bottom of my pond easily. I rigged up an ugly looking pvc T that I mounted on some clear acrylic that I bought at Home Depot. It's not pretty but I'm hoping it will do the trick to allow me to feed two things. I've got a Tetra 550 and I'm wondering how much it will pump out.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used 3/4" heavy duty water hose. I used it for my pond and like that it has adapters at both ends I could use or cut off as needed. I don't freeze where I am and I like the fact that it comes in black and is made for water. It has worked great so far but only been in about a month.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was also able to use a standard hose splitter that allows me to either run my bog/waterfall or divert the water to an external hose that I can use to water plants. I can also turn both on at the same time. I have a 750 GPH pump.

Reaction score
Wow, I never thought about using heavy duty water hose. That sounds like a great idea. So how do you tie the hose into your pump from the splitter?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had a 3/4" adapter coming out of my pump. I cut the end off the hose and used a hose clamp to attach the 2. They do have 3/4" adapter pieces that allow you to screw the hose end on a connector piece but for some reason we decided to cut the end instead. It works great.

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. This has given me some good ideas! The water hose looks like the ticket for me!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I too used some leftover black garden hose to attach to my hefty air pump and it works fine.

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to see if I can rustle up some heavy duty, black hose. This sounds like the way to go. Thanks again for the great input and suggestions.

This is the current state of my water world. I've had some pretty frequent raccoon visits and my Jack Russell got into it with two of them. They seem to like everything about the pond so I've had to wrap it with some X pens to keep them away. Seems to work.
IMG_0664.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Awe Sandy it's cute. I love the pot in the center. I got my hose from Lowes. (oh and it rhymes...lol) I think I paid around 25-30 for 50'. Although I was just looking at the Lowes site and wonder if I ended up with 5/8" diameter since it was pretty tough getting the hose clamped on the fitting. It took a bit of stretching but it worked out. I would think you shouldn't have a problem using it at all. Good luck and I LOVE the hand water pump on the side.

Reaction score
Thanks! That pump is something else I'm going to try and incorporate into my new pump. I'll check out Lowes, we've got one nearby.

Ask a Question