addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[sub]You folks are killing me here. I want to see a video of the mechanical koi too. :fish2: [/sub]

Will do, need to figure out what box they are in..............and it will be spring

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Why wait til Spring addy? Get a long lasting battery and stick the thing down under and when ice forms let the thing drive Harry Heron nuts! We'll call him Ole Crooked Beak after that,lol!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that bear looks like one big brown rock to your fish... great blue heron decoys, to be remotely effective, must be moved every other day atleast....i believe them to be more effective on cranes and smaller heron type birds.due to the GBH being the predominant preditory bird here.. i live 150 yards from a creek . and the cranes leave quickly when a GBH approaches the area. usually before it even lands. i have a GBH decoy and see the white cranes daily at the creek hunting, they fly over my yard multiple times daily but i have yet to see them ever in my yard let alone near the pond. this tells me the decoy at least works on them, if not the GBHs. this is only anecdotal evidence but 5 years with the decoy and never a problem with the cranes. and if you use a decoy you might want to wait til breeding season is thru...or you may attract more herons looking to mate.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what does your decoy look like? I was looking at some, but did not make the jump to buy one. The alligators seemed to help, next year will tell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great selection you listed there, Koiguy! I have been looking at that one pair that look similar, one with head up, one with head down. Thinking of suggesting that set to my kids for me for Christmas. :) I looked at a huge Covered Bridge Festival last month, and also at an Art Fair in WI in Sept, and never found any herons. One guy could make me ONE and then priced it at about $250 ... ummm ... no, I don't want THAT nice of one. LOL
Funny, you also included the scarecrow sprinklers that turn on with motion. Bad thing is I'm just pretty sure yours truly would be getting wet more than anything else. LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The sprinkler would work, but we have so much motion at the pond with the plants and wind it would go off constantly. And we are so protective of our well, would not want something that might stick on and drain the sucker.

So I stick with passive stuff, nets, alligators, screaming at it..............lol

Ask a Question