Bog clean out snorkel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We did decide that since it has stayed intact all this time with no cave-ins and no support of rocks or water -- and it is surrounded by our driveway and parking areas - we can safely say the ground is VERY stable and sturdy. My husband swings his huge pickup right up to the edge every evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I must have been a mole in another life.
external-content.duckduckgo-2.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF you have a hammer drill even a cordless you can but a chisel and that will make your life so much easier.

I would caution you may have a hippo potential . i would think about a few hoses from the bottom of the pond up to the surface if not running away from the pond looks like your yard drops in the back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It does drop in the back. Can you explain the hippo potential more and how the drop would cause it? We never have issues with ground water. In fact, our yards and stuff stay really dry because we are higher up. I always thought hippos happened when there were problems with a high water table.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clay does not let water drain well. how long does it take for the pond to drain after a rain even fills the now excavation?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when water can't drain or if the water table for your area is high meaning you start digging and find water like a foot down. In your case i'd be cautious to make sure run off from the driveway or else where doesn't get to the sides of your pond. you want to keep the water away from the outside of the liner as well so that the water doesn't slip down along the side. and get under the liner. it will depend how long the now excavation takes to drain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
OK. Hopefully I am good, then. Without my plastic cover there, it wouldn't hold water at all -- more than a little puddle. We just had 3 inches of rain in the last two days and even with the plastic, there is no water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think it might be because back in the day, when this property was divided up, they scraped parts of it down to darned near a "hardpan" kind of layer. It's not clay like the thick, pliable artist's kind of clay. It's more like rocky rubble, held together with some of the rubbery stuff in between. It is horrible to dig through! But drains very fast!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK. Hopefully I am good, then. Without my plastic cover there, it wouldn't hold water at all -- more than a little puddle. We just had 3 inches of rain in the last two days and even with the plastic, there is no water.
sweet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you had said it took a couple days i would have advised prepping for the hippo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That is great news! I should say, too, that in the picture with water in it -- I had two huge pieces of plastic really neatly duct-taped together down the center. It temporarily held some water in there till it all leaked out along the tape seam.
I definitely do plan to have a berm around the pond and will need to get clever with diverting run off. Even without a pond in the works, there were some issues with grading and whatnot. If the ground wasn't so horrible to dig, we would use a perforated pipe. Most of the problem water comes from a gutter we can redirect. I'm also considering doing a bit of a rain garden in the low area at the lower right of that photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Mmathis -- It seems to be working well! I recently played around with it to see what I would find in the bog - after a year or so. I took the marble cover off the top of the snorkel and everything down there looks great. I even dropped a sump pump down to the bottom and pumped water out. Nothing but nice, clear water!

Ask a Question