addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had rush, it does spread and it is harder , to me, to remove then the iris. I had it in the pea gravel of the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have both blue and horsetail rush in the pond. I have blue rush in the margins - it's a bit of a spreader, but by seed more than plant growth I find. I cut off all the seed heads to try to keep it from showing up other places. And I've learned to recognize it when it starts growing and pull it out before it gets a chance to get established.

And I would never trust horsetail rush anywhere that it could spread - it's so invasive. I have some planted in the pool at the top of our waterfall and keep a careful eye on it. Every other year I yank the whole thing out and keep a small piece of it and let it start over. I've seen videos of entire ponds taken over by the stuff. And it will run up on land, too.

Like @addy1 said I find rushes much harder to get rid of, but I do love the look of them. I have another one that I like - it's kind of wavy and variegated. Not sure what it's called. I'll see if I can find the name!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I dug mine out a few years back, massive root ball, darn hard to get out of the pea gravel.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy and Lisa!
Have the rushes spread into the yard/garden, or just in the pond and bog?
Does the horsetail rush get the seed heads like the blue rush does?
Since the dwarf horsetail rush wont get as tall as the yellow flag iris, I thought the horsetail rush might be nice lining the pond when it spread. The water level of my pond is at least 6" below the grade of the yard so I was hoping it wouldn't jump out of the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost everything I have put in the bog has spread out into the yard. I have sort of let it, they flower and look pretty.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yuck. I was hoping since they like a lot of water that the rushes wouldn't do well in the yard. Thanks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yuck. I was hoping since they like a lot of water that the rushes wouldn't do well in the yard. Thanks.
It is more of the obedient plant, marsh betony, water willow that have wandered. The rush, the bit I have left in the pond, has stayed in place. And some of my land iris have now wandered into one of the ponds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1

Come clean mine out! It does need a bit of yanking to keep the water flowing over the water fall. A lot weeps over the bog wall.
It sure keeps the pond water in great shape.

There are 4 ponds in this picture...................
Capturez.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Does the horsetail rush get the seed heads like the blue rush does?

No. They spread by roots. Sneaky, tiny, adorable little plants will work their way into every little nook and cranny they can find.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The water level of my pond is at least 6" below the grade of the yard so I was hoping it wouldn't jump out of the pond.

You should be fine. Just watch it. It's not hard to pull out when it's tiny.

Ask a Question