Bog Cleanout

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I've been thinking about bogs again. I understand the basic principles but was wondering about buildup in the bog gravel. I understand the pipe cleanout technique, but what about the gravel itself. Does it ever need to be cleaned? And if so, how is it usually done?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't clean mine, this is this one's 4th summer. When I had little tiny bogs they were set up to back flush via bottom drain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thanks, addy. How did you supply the backflush water? Pour on top and let it travel downward?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry we were traveling................ I used a garden hose to back flush, They were two small bogs, whiskey barrel size, one was up flow which water- falled into the bottom one. The top one worked better than the bottom one which was down flow, the top layer of gravel would muck up and if not careful overflow.

This one all I do is pull overgrowing plants once a year or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Addy, how hard is it to pull overgrown plants from the bog? I had some grass that escaped the pot and looked really nice until it decide to start taking over one end of the pond. Took me over an hour and a half to get it all out. Amazing root system under some very large rocks along the edge of the pond. I have been thinking about a bog but after the grass battle I'm not so sure.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Snoozer- just don't let plants get overgrown. We had a bog that leaked so it sat stagnant for 3 years. It took a mattock to chop the Lizard tail and iris plants out. The roots became a solid mass 2 feet deep!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pull rush, grasses and other plants all the time. The rush I use a pitch fork to lift it up. All other plants I yank by hand. I do purge every spring as things do grow quite well. Even purge mid summer off and on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have been thinking a bog would be a good addition. I will need to read up on building one. Too bad rocks aren't a bit lighter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Does the bottom of the bog need to be above the water line of the pond? I have a spot at one end about 10 foot from where the waterfall drops into the pond that would look nice with a backdrop of plants. The soil line is about 10 inches above the water line and the berm we built for the header pond would be on one side.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the bottom of my bog is below my pond level, the top is around a foot higher than the pond, mainly so it could waterfall in.

Ask a Question