Bog for Above Ground Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am going to start building a bog for our 700 gallon above ground pond. I have an idea of what I want to do. Not many pictures online that I can find. If any of you have an above ground bog, can you share your pictures? Not liking these canister filters. I had a bog I made out of a 20 whisky barel liner. That was too small and it was hard to maintain the plants in that small space. Water is cloudy all the time now. The main reason is that I have too many fish. I am in the process of getting rid alot of them.

pond1.jpg

pond2.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@eddie209 There is a member here who just completed a similar project. Let me look through posts and see if I can find it.

It was @JenH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have seen that video too. Thats the plan on this BOG. With the exception of using 4x4's and a pond liner. I am not 100% sure what I am doing for a spillway. I am thinking buying a cheap waterfall box and just cutting out the spillway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Who was it that their friends' kids came over destroyed their pond by throwing stuff in it? They had (have?) a raised wood bog over a similar type raised pond (bigger but same style raised wood pond). Ah, here we go, I've seen a number of this type of raised bog for that style of raised pond (I'm sure there are plenty of examples of this type of raised bog in the forums, this was the most memorable one for me because of the horror story attached to it): https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/elevated-bog-pond.24730/
(not my pic, pic of dustboy's pond from above thread)
3A2ABCA1-8758-4F93-BAAA-016CBADA1ABB.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Little update, waiting for the liner from Webbs Water Garden to come in for the bog. In the mean time I got a 150 Gallon stock tank and moved some goldfish in there to reduce the bio load on the main pond. Sold most of the Koi. Just have a few left.

six.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I plan to start making the bog tomorrow. I replaced the warped trim 2x8 boards on the pond where the bog will sit. I used 2x6 treated lumber.
pond2020.jpg

This board resembles how far I want the bog to come out. About 48 inches x 24 inches x 17 inches tall.
pond2020_4.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Enjoying watching your planning process! I was going to suggest the Pond Digger video too - he does great step by step tutorials, which not all the pros do. And once you understand the purpose and process you can figure out the steps that you can streamline.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will be nice! Are you building a stand behind the filter to make the bog have more room? Where that shorter piece of wood is.

Ask a Question