Bog?

Reaction score
I have a pond 10x13 with a falls and a Skippy filter. I was green for weeks, months till I bought a UV and now I'm clear.
I have a old mold of a starter pond, from before I build my current pond. I'm thinking of placing lillies in the prefab form. Do I need a filter? Can I keep lillies in the other prefab as long as I keep plenty of water and I'll to put Dunks in the water. Than my concerns becomes winter and keeping the lillies.
I did include a couple pics of the fish and pond.

Attachments

• Matalic and white koi.jpg
    Matalic and white koi.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Falls pond.jpg
    Falls pond.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 266

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
To raise lily's no you don't need a filter, they do fine is still water but you do need to change a little water out from time to time. Dunks work great for this! For over wintering, hardies may do fine in your larger pond in the deepest end at first frost. Tropicals will need to be brought in. There are a few other members that should be able to help further with how and what to do for over wintering.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my lilies in about 2 feet of water, they did fine over winter.
We are a little warmer than you. Last winter I had 8 inches of ice on the pond. You mainly do not want the tubers to freeze.

Reaction score
addy1,
I was also thinking of digging down a few inches to place the prefab in and possibly cover with a board or ? over the top come winter. I don't want to drop 3-4 lillies in the big pond for fear of short space for the koi in big pond. Dig about 6 inches down, place the dirt around edges and some stones around the edge. Would this help protect the lillies?
I have a girl friend who is dividing her lillies and was giving me a few, about 4-5 of them.
I have 1 right now in pond, a Hardy - Florida Sunset. I put bigger stones in pot so fish won't tear pot & plant apart.
thank you for your help

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the new lily. It was open more earlier in day while I was at work.

Attachments

• Lily.jpg
    Lily.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 218
  • Florida Sunset Lily.jpg
    Florida Sunset Lily.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 222

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very pretty!

What zone are you in? We are 6a 6b depends on where you draw the line.

You mainly need to make sure the lilies are in water not ice for the winter, the tuber.
You could dig in a home depot type bucket, cover the top and put a bag of leaves over that. You might be ok, unless we have one heck of a cold winter. I don't think 6 inches will be deep enough.

Reaction score
addy1,
I am in Zone 3 - good old Penna. Some winters are very cold and some winter could be mild. I do have a girlfriend who has a VERY large pond and I could take the lilies to her big pond. I just didn't want to bother her, but she won't say no. Of course right now is not the time to worry about winter - too hot. Plus just to see the lilies in bloom - that's what makes the whole summer worth while.
What does everyone else use as a fertilizer with their lilies? I've used Tomatoe Jobs.
Thanks again for your help and input

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lily tabs, tomato sticks, etc work. I plant mine in clay with about 1/4 cup osmocote in the bottom of an oil pan with kitty litter clay.

Ask a Question