Bogged down by bog technicalities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You seem to be doing fine and you have gotten a lot of good advice.

It's a plus that you are going to use bulkhead fittings and not just trying to seal it with a bunch of goop. Bulkhead fittings are the ultimate best way to a positive seal.
Dont worry.

When drilling the plastic, go slow. Too much speed will cause the bit to melt the plastic. The bit can get stuck and if it heats up too much, the hole can become distorted. Go real slow. Cut through the plastic, don't melt through it. You want a clean smooth finish so your bulkhead can properly seal. Drill a little at low speed. Stop and let it cool then repeat. Again, cut through it, not melt through it.
I don't know what the glass cutter you are talking about is, but I have used hole saws for 45 years on all different materials. As long as the hole saw is sharp, you are good. If it's dull, it won't cut, it will melt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You seem to be doing fine and you have gotten a lot of good advice.

It's a plus that you are going to use bulkhead fittings and not just trying to seal it with a bunch of goop. Bulkhead fittings are the ultimate best way to a positive seal.
Dont worry.

When drilling the plastic, go slow. Too much speed will cause the bit to melt the plastic. The bit can get stuck and if it heats up too much, the hole can become distorted. Go real slow. Cut through the plastic, don't melt through it. You want a clean smooth finish so your bulkhead can properly seal. Drill a little at low speed. Stop and let it cool then repeat. Again, cut through it, not melt through it.
I don't know what the glass cutter you are talking about is, but I have used hole saws for 45 years on all different materials. As long as the hole saw is sharp, you are good. If it's dull, it won't cut, it will melt.
I think I'm going to practice on some of the old flower pots and other stuff that's around the place. Come to think of it, my recycling box supplied by the council is VERY similar to the pond box I need to drill.
This has got to be the best forum ever, a BIG thanks to all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think I'm going to practice on some of the old flower pots and other stuff that's around the place. Come to think of it, my recycling box supplied by the council is VERY similar to the pond box I need to drill.
This has got to be the best forum ever, a BIG thanks to all!
Great!
Any more concerns, just ask...

Ask a Question