Lockdown Pond Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, Good to meet you all. I am new to pond keeping and have a lot to learn so I hope you will be able to help me as I get to grips with ponds, plants, fish etc.

During the first lockdown in 2020 I decided I needed a project to keep me sane so I started digging a pond at the end of my garden in Gloucestershire. I had to stop when I got 40 cm down and hit a brick wall - or in my case a red and black quarry tiled floor (who knew there used to be a building there?). I couldn't go down any further without a jackhammer, so once lockdown eased I got a local builder to raise up the sides with bricks and put in a pond liner and my waterfall feature. It is now a raised pond (approximately 1.5 meters x 1.3 meters and with an overall depth of about 90 cm). I also added rocks in one corner as an escape route for any critters that fell in, a pump to keep the water clean and power the waterfall and some plants.

At the end of May, 2020, we added four fish. The man in the garden centre said he thought we had one male and three females so we named them Priscilla, Tracey, Fadette and Torquemada (he's the boy, we think!). All was well until October when a heron ate Priscilla. I was very sad. We stuck up a temporary net to protect them while I designed a more permanent cover and got it built by a friend who has a metal working company. They are now safe from the heron and I can easily move the cover when I need to clean out the pump.

So that's me and my pond. It's proved to be a fun project and I am looking forward to seeing how it develops. I do have a specific question but I will start a different thread for that. I just wanted to say hello.

Attachments

• A quarry tiled floor..jpg
    A quarry tiled floor..jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Half way through.jpg
    Half way through.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 97
  • With water and guardian heron.jpg
    With water and guardian heron.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Pond cover.jpg
    Pond cover.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very nice! I'm hoping by the size of your pond that those fish are goldfish and not koi! Sorry to hear about Priscilla, but it looks like you've hit upon a heron-proof solution!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome TetburySue. That quarry tiled floor is fascinating! Gosh, imagine the history. Your pond is very nice. Nice job!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the flooring! would be nice to know the story behind it!

Welcome to our forum! Very nice pond. I use a wide weave fishing net over my pond for anti herons. 4 inch holes they can't strike through it but all the frogs small birds can escape.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Your pond is gorgeous! My curiosity would have gotten the better of me.....I would have continued to excavate that beautiful tiled area!

Ask a Question