Filter media after 5 day shut-down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a catastrophic power failure due to a faulty waterfall pump, which also damaged the pump to the filter (Evolution Aqua Nexus) and the uv unit! I have managed to keep the air pump which agitates the filter media in the outer chamber going, the inner chamber is empty. I have also rigged up a fountain and the new waterfall pump to help provide oxygen for the fish. The new pump from pond to filter will be fitted on Tuesday 6th July. My question is, will the filter media in the inner chamber still be safe to use after being 'dry' for several days? Will it need replacing? I'd be grateful for any advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi bodfish,a few days should not be too much of a problem you have air going in and some movement from your waterfall as long as you keep the outer chamber full and aerated that is the part that the bacteria grows in i wouldnt worry to much about the inner chamber thats the part that removes solids and fines, once your pump is up and running again it should be fine, just keep an eye on your fish they will sooon tell you if there not happy, hope this helps cheers mark :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi bodfish,a few days should not be too much of a problem you have air going in and some movement from your waterfall as long as you keep the outer chamber full and aerated that is the part that the bacteria grows in i wouldnt worry to much about the inner chamber thats the part that removes solids and fines, once your pump is up and running again it should be fine, just keep an eye on your fish they will sooon tell you if there not happy, hope this helps cheers mark :)
Thanks so much, Mark, your reply is VERY reassuring and much appreciated! Caroline.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Open your filter and smell if it smells like rotten eggs or sulfur you'll need to clean the filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @GBBUDD - it should be fine, but your nose will tell you. If it smells like stinky pond, you're good. Rotten eggs - no bueno.

Ask a Question