Bottom Drain

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only filter I use before the pond water goes to the bog is a standard exterior pump with its strainer basket.

I have both types of bogs the matrix bog and a pea stone.
When I first got the idea of the bog I was thinking as you are with pull the dirt down through the gravel in the pond. Which in actuality I am but only through larger rock not pea stone. Reason being I had a couple fish get to close and get stuck with there long butterfly fins. So a placed an aqua block panel atop the two main drains and buried them under from 3/4 to 8 inch rock. The water goes to the external pump hits the strainer basket grabs any rocks or plant matter and pumps to the bottom of a 7 foot deep pit with a 24 inch culvert that was cut out with 2 inch slits in the lower ribs of the culvert. This is where any large debris is allowed to settle with only approximately 4000 gph into a 24 inch tube 12 feet long that meets a second vertical 24 inch culvert. The idea is for the flow to be reduced to only displacement. So the debris settles in this area that can be cleaned but so far after 4 years I've got very little out of it.
The water in this area again is displaced by volume not flow and is allowed to rise up through baseball sized layer of rock about 8 inches worth. Where it then enters the matrix blocks or better known as aquablocks. There again the water is allowed to settle let anything that remains in the water to hopefully fall out of the water as a floater and sinks to the bottom of the aquablocks. I call this area the farm where the bacteria micro organisms , plankton , water creatures have a cave where they can swim without preditors such as fish they feed and break down the plant matter or left over food that makes it this far. All the while there is no chance of clogging at this point its gone through a 24 inch pipe and now it sits in matrix blocks 18 x 12 x 32" I belive they are, all placed together making a 8 foot wide by 14 foot cave we'll call it. It's at that point baseball sized and smaller are placed over the matrix and then they are covered with a foot and a half or more of 3/4 river rock . I have not used the 3/8 pea stone to me its just a little to fine for my liking. And in that 3/4 stone is the plants roots now if I had to do it over again I would go with 24 to 30 inches of stone ontop of the matrix blocks so that way even the deepest roots like found on cat tails can't grow into the blocks and while they wont clog the blocks flow they will restrict a little more then I wish I had at this point. Is there a problem now. Not that I am aware of but 24 inch would have insure no roots ever would be. If I needed to yank a giant papyrus for instance tie a rope onto it and yank it out it would only be in the stone. Now there is always going to be blockages within the stone and that's where the gravel sizes as they change and the pressures build up again as they get into the smaller gravel nature finds the path of least resistance. So as one area is allowing water to flow through today as it clogs very time the pressure will flush out an area that had little flow before. Nature finds a way. What has amazed me about the bog and it will only get better as it matures is the incredible diversity I see . I have found baby koi in that 24 inch culvert. They got sucked through the drain pipe past the impeller of the pump and pushed down to the 24 inch pipe where they live. I have seen worms what looks like water catapillars . Sand fleas Daphnia dragon fly lavea all kinds of stuff I never added to the pond. They are eating something and it's better them then algae. Ok so there's a bog in a nut shell . Oh and there's always the plants that pull out the extreme fines in the water the minerals and compounds that are in the water that mechanicall filters don't do so hot pulling out . Not like the way the plants can. So the faster the plants grown like creeping Jenny. Lotus. Penny wart though becarefull with that one. The faster a plant reproduces and grows the less chance algae has to grow.

Can I be done now . This was more work telling you about it then I spend working on the bog in three months

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD I can not thank you enough for your time. I have researched your pond build and had to read your response a few times just to draw your system in my head. WHOLE SNYKIES your filtration system is amazing and you covered every aspect bio filtration thoroughly. (head shaking in amazement) As I see it in my head is its not over kill, just large enough to allow bio system to work at its own pace with some reserve space.

I will warn you well in advance that I will ask you for more on your set up in the future.

Thank You
Stay safe and healthy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad it helped ,

That is what has worked for me EVERYONE here will tell you if asked how they created there bog. or what they think of them and you'll get a different response form each and everyone. So this is not you must do this or you must do that. @addy1 HAS A PEA STONE BOG WITHOUT ALL THE MATRIX AND CULVERTS. her system is far simpler with a pvc 2" bladder, row s of pvc pipe that have slits or holes dilled in THAT FACE DOWN and the water is pumped down to the bottom of the bog and dispersed somewhat evenly across the entire bottom of the bog then at least a foot if not more of pea stone is dumped into the space plants thrown in and whala a bog and hers has been running for over ten years. In the 4 years that i hav4 been in this hobby it has worked and worked very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
And the big dig has began. about 2 weeks in and rock, rock and more rocks with a handful of boulders. My plan here is to go at least 4 1/2 - 5 feet deep with all piping to be under the pond.

Attachments

• 20220327_183846.jpg
    20220327_183846.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220327_183924.jpg
    20220327_183924.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220327_183942.jpg
    20220327_183942.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 6

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And the big dig has began. about 2 weeks in and rock, rock and more rocks with a handful of boulders. My plan here is to go at least 4 1/2 - 5 feet deep with all piping to be under the pond.
Wow you have quite the backbreaking job to do but you are doing it so "Go ahead pat yourself on the back and have the pain meds handy" :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Many times I have questioned my sanity and thought about giving up. I have NEVER had rocks kick my a** so bad as this dig has.

I have literately dug out so many rocks/boulders that I could not put them back in the hole without having a huge mound. shovel and pick are totally useless, the only way I can get the earth to break up is by using a air hammer and chisel bit.
BUT

I WILL PERSEVERE.... (famous last words).

so far I have used and broken 1 shovel, 1 electric jackhammer.
20 bag of Portland.
2 1/2 ton of 3/4 clean stone.
2 ton of coarse sand.

my goal was at "least" 4' deep.... (yeah that's not going to happen) the best I will get is between 3'3"- 3'8".
The bottom of the hole is unfinished and you see 2 PVC pipes, 1. is pond return and the 2nd is the waterfall. this gives me the option to regulate the waterfall and be able to shut in down for winter, about 1 1/2" above the return lines will be the 3 pond drains.

I have found out the hard way that I have the great potential of ground water rising up from the bottom. After 3 days of rain showers in the early spring I had 2' of water in the pond that required pumping just so I could work.

The bottom will have 3-4" of clean stone with a trough leading to a sump pit outside the pond so if the need arises it can be pumped down to keep water pressure from building up under the pond bottom. A 2" cap of soil reclamation. ( 7% Portland mixed in sifted dirt) this will seal the pond bottom from ground water infiltration and hopefully stop liner from ballooning.

OOH by the way the boulders are stabilized and have one more to go.

yes I know its been at least 5 months I have not worked on this every day but every day I'm home and the weather is cooperating I'm in the hole. not bad for a 63yr old fart.

At a later date I will take a drone photo of the project.
20220523_094236.jpg

Attachments

• 20220523_094236.jpg
    20220523_094236.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question