Bottom: Gravel, Stones, Rocks, Liner Only?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
Mine is a shallow pond and I like a rocked bottom. If it were 4 feet deep I would not rock the bottom only one or two shelves as I dont believe you would notice it.

That's a good point Jack... I do have some shelves that are anywhere from 18 inches to 2 feet deep. Perhaps some flat stones would look nice to line the bottom of those and some river rocks or gravel to put in between the flat stones. The sun/light has to be just right and the water crystal clear to really notice the bottom of the 4ft section so rocking that wouldn't really be noticeable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Remember, when you're talking about "rocking" the bottom of the pond you don't want large rocks. Large rocks would trap debris and could cause issues. They would also make it hard to walk in your pond if you needed/wanted to. A rocked pond should have a shallow layer of gravel - just enough to cover the liner. It's both aesthetic as well as providing additional surface area for bacteria to colonize. I've also noticed that my fish spend lots of time picking up and spitting out gravel, so it's entertainment as well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
That's a good point Jack... I do have some shelves that are anywhere from 18 inches to 2 feet deep. Perhaps some flat stones would look nice to line the bottom of those and some river rocks or gravel to put in between the flat stones. The sun/light has to be just right and the water crystal clear to really notice the bottom of the 4ft section so rocking that wouldn't really be noticeable.
Yes deeper water as in 4 feet really just a pain in the long run for cleaning if you had rocks. But the shelf is perfect plus a plastic oil pan with kitty litter for lilies would work great and easy to maintain.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
people who have OCD and like clean should never do rock in their ponds .They look clean at first and then they get covered in the good muck the fish eat over winter .I find I prefer liner as it is easy to net stuff out that falls into the pond .I think on here some one had a fish that gravel stuck in it's mouth also .I guess it is up to you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have an Aquascape style pond with a rock bottom.

Lilies and Val grass are planted directly in the gravel and fertilizer is not used.

I assume that without the gravel bottom you woulds have plants in pots and you would have to fertilize and risk algae blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
I have an Aquascape style pond with a rock bottom.

Lilies and Val grass are planted directly in the gravel and fertilizer is not used.

I assume that without the gravel bottom you woulds have plants in pots and you would have to fertilize and risk algae blooms.

Hi Bitten...

Yes everything on the bottom is in pots in our pond. We have Irises and Bulrush which are shallow in baskets however they seem to have overgrown the baskets and are almost a permanent fixture so you could almost say they are planted. We chop them low in late Fall and have had good luck with them as a perennial :)

Curious though... you elude to the idea that if you have a gravel bottom, you don't have to fertilize? Fertilizer creates algae blooms?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Curious though... you elude to the idea that if you have a gravel bottom, you don't have to fertilize? Fertilizer creates algae blooms?

I was curious about that as well. In my experience, if you have FISH you don't have to fertilize, gravel bottom or no.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
It was recommended to me NOT to use fertilizer, i.e., another variable to upset the pond balance. I had a small pond up north in Michigan with nothing on the liner bottom and used pots for plants, potted them using plain clay kitty litter. i used Pond Tabs and pushed the tabs in about 4-5 inches. It seemed as though I was fighting string algae all season long.

Since I've had this pond, I had some string algae when the pond was setup 2 1/2 years ago and I am getting some this winter. (It has been very cool and plants have not started growing yet). I have to uproot and thin my lilies and and Val grass each Spring.

I have Blue Irises on a ledge with 2-3 inches of gravel on it. I also have Dwarf bullrushes and Watercress growing in the stream in gravel. I've tried some Thalia but it doesn't seem to do well, I may put it in a pot and see if it does better.

Both ponds have goldfish only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My plants are in pots and I use the fertilizer spikes (once a year variety.) They worked great - definitely perked up the flower production on lilies) and no algae issues whatsoever!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
How often do you thin any lilies or other plants? What are you using as a planting medium? What brand of fertilizer spikes do you use?

I may try my lilies in a pot this year. They spread like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pond is only going into its 3rd year and it's not very big. I haven't had to thin anything yet, but I'm sure it's coming soon! I am using plain clay kitty litter and it works great. It's about $3.00 a bag from Walmart, so you can't beat that! I order my Laguna once a year pond spikes online. You can get them through Amazon or Webb's Water Gardens online. You can see from the pix that the summer heat makes things happy!

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 229
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 213
  • pond3.jpeg
    pond3.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
My pond is only going into its 3rd year and it's not very big. I haven't had to thin anything yet, but I'm sure it's coming soon! I am using plain clay kitty litter and it works great. It's about $3.00 a bag from Walmart, so you can't beat that! I order my Laguna once a year pond spikes online. You can get them through Amazon or Webb's Water Gardens online. You can see from the pix that the summer heat makes things happy!

Hey BagsMom... do you mix the clay litter with anything like a potting soil perhaps? Pond soil is expensive and your idea withe the scoopable litter is genius! I also suspect it might be a good idea to avoid any types that contain odor agents or perfumes.

Love this idea though.

Wammy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
the scoopable litter is genius! I also suspect it might be a good idea to avoid any types that contain odor agents or perfumes.

Very basic plain clay litter only @Wammy - nothing with scent or any kind of clumping action. It's just bentonite clay, which is actually healthy for your pond and fish, so it's a win-win. I don't mix mine with anything, but I do add some gravel or stones to the top of pots to keep the litter in place until it solidifies a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The geniuses are all the experienced ponders on here who told me about the litter. Addy, Lisa, and all the others who have used it with great success. I thought it was a super cool idea as well! It works great and is soooo cheap. Just plain clay -- ditto what Lisa said - no clumping or scented kind. Just the most basic cheap stuff. When you slowly and carefully sink a planted pot, the white clay will send up smoky swirls of dust into the water. It clouds the water for about a day, but soon settles out. As Lisa said, gravel or rocks on top help to minimize this.

Ask a Question