Brackish water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone keep brackish water? I’ve been keeping brackish over the years and it is an interesting dimension of aquarium keeping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I heard GF can handle up to 10% salinity, the guy I picked up fish from yesterday suggested I dump a few pounds of salt in my pond. I'm not convinced it's a good idea, though I understand the potential benefits. I'd like to stick with promoting good water quality naturally than any additives. Only thing I add to my water is a dechlor when I do a mass water change and refill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I heard GF can handle up to 10% salinity, the guy I picked up fish from yesterday suggested I dump a few pounds of salt in my pond. I'm not convinced it's a good idea, though I understand the potential benefits. I'd like to stick with promoting good water quality naturally than any additives. Only thing I add to my water is a dechlor when I do a mass water change and refill.

@Stephen Noble is referring to keeping a brackish aquarium.

And I agree with you - no need for salt in a pond. The fish may not mind it but it's hard on plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
I am hoping to try some soon, a breeder in Malta posted me 4 sexed pairs of Aphanius mento "Kirkgoz" (originally from Turkey), let's hope they arrive ok. Aphanius are killies from the Mediterranean shores. Some species (like A fasciatus, still relatively common here in Italy) is euryhaline to the point of living from freshwater to salt ponds 4 times more concentrated than seawater

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am hoping to try some soon, a breeder in Malta posted me 4 sexed pairs of Aphanius mento "Kirkgoz" (originally from Turkey), let's hope they arrive ok. Aphanius are killies from the Mediterranean shores. Some species (like A fasciatus, still relatively common here in Italy) is euryhaline to the point of living from freshwater to salt ponds 4 times more concentrated than seawater
Interesting, please post photos when you get them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Where did I hear slightly brackish water induces breeding behavior in some species. I did hear that right or my mind is just making stuff up again. Possibly because they move closer to the ocean in the wild during spawn?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am unfamiliar with the “Kirkgoz” but looked it up on the net. It is quite beautiful. I hope you receive the fish and look forward to hearing about your experiences with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where did I hear slightly brackish water induces breeding behavior in some species. I did hear that right or my mind is just making stuff up again. Possibly because they move closer to the ocean in the wild during spawn?
You are correct. The estuaries are called the transition zone where fresh water and saltwater merge. They are highly diverse areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
I am unfamiliar with the “Kirkgoz” but looked it up on the net. It is quite beautiful. I hope you receive the fish and look forward to hearing about your experiences with them.
Thanks, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Planning to put one pair each in two ten gal tanks (for breeding/insurance) and the others in the tub pond (that I can cut off from the others so to give the fish the salinity they require). I am new to these fish too, killi fish are already a bit "niche", so these are a niche within a niche. These Aphanius mento live in a huge range of conditions, from fresh to quite brackish water and from rigid winters with ice on the surface to torrid summers.

Ask a Question