brackish water tank salinity

Discussion in 'Indoor tanks' started by prawn, Sep 25, 2016.

1. prawn

Feb 13, 2016
    I am in the process of preparing my brackish water tank. It will be mid to high end brackish (1.010-1.018) have not decided yet. My question is can evaporated sea salt be used as salt for aquariums. I understand that some minerals such as magnesium and calcium cannot re dissolve into water without the help of an acid. Could aquarium acidic buffer be used to dissolve them? Do i even need a special marine mix if it is only going to be a brackish tank? Excuse my ignorance, I'm only a teen and some terms have confused me regarding to the composition of marine salts. I am only curious as i have naturally evaporated sea salt on hand and was wondering how to fully dissolve it. I live close to the sea but carrying a 30litres of water every time i need a water change is laborious.
    Thanks in advance,
    prawn, Sep 25, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. prawn

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Oct 10, 2014
    From what I understand, products such as Instant Ocean Salt is what is commonly used.
    Meyer Jordan, Sep 25, 2016
    peter hillman likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. prawn

peter hillman Let me think for minute....

Sep 5, 2015
    The synthetic salts can be used for a brackish set up, just adjust the amount needed with S.G. Be advised 50gallons of salt mix will be close to $20. I'd try to find a way to bring seawater home if possible. Once I used a 100 quart ice chest to transfer water got about 18 gallons in it. A powerhead can be used to transfer it when you get home.
    peter hillman, Sep 25, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question