Brackish water pond?

Reaction score
I got a pond in my backyard I'm going to Renovate in the summer and after watching videos of people with full saltwater ponds I thought about having a brackish pond with Euryhaline fish and inverts. I'm not sure how well this would work where I live( canada) but from what I know brackish species would be able to tolerate stuff like rain and exess nutrients in the water. I was also thinking of using oysters as filtration and base rock for the fish to hide in from racoons. The pond itself is going to be 5 ft long and about 4 ft deep which should be enough just in case we get an extremly cold winter and summer. The only real problem I can see that leaves could fall into the pond and possibly pollute it. Any way if anyone can give me some ideas on stocking and stuff it would be greatly apriciated.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
What type of euryhaline fish are you intending to use? There's not a whole wide range of fish available in Canada for that sort of plan (unless of course you might be on one of the Coasts). Additionally, if you're planning on using certain species, the Ministry of Natural Resources could take issue with the transport of certain species.

Rain isn't usually a problem with ponds, other than overfill/flow. Excess nutrients (run-off, fertilizers) can be easily diverted before entering the pond. Leaves are easy to get rid of with an active skimmer (mechanical), or a semi-active skimmer (dude with a net).

Why the semi-saltwater route, anyway? Coastal location?

Reaction score
What type of euryhaline fish are you intending to use? There's not a whole wide range of fish available in Canada for that sort of plan (unless of course you might be on one of the Coasts). Additionally, if you're planning on using certain species, the Ministry of Natural Resources could take issue with the transport of certain species.

Rain isn't usually a problem with ponds, other than overfill/flow. Excess nutrients (run-off, fertilizers) can be easily diverted before entering the pond. Leaves are easy to get rid of with an active skimmer (mechanical), or a semi-active skimmer (dude with a net).

Why the semi-saltwater route, anyway? Coastal location?

I was thinking of rainbow smelt, stickleback and ma by alewife or trout. And i live in ontario. Also I was wondering about the possibility of arctic cod and eel( which I could get from a local grocery store)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I know a Newfy who sells salt cod out of the back of his pickup after a three-day drive from the east coast, but I've never seen live cod for sale anywhere but at dockside. No idea how you could keep them alive for the trip. Maybe in a salt-water tanker truck?
John

Ask a Question