Bring plants in for winter?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was wondering which of my plants I can bring in for the winter, I am putting the water lilies at the bottom and was wondering about my Iris' , I have a black magic taro, African sunset Canna and a Houttuynia Chameleon. I will try and add a couple of photos here. Are there any type of spray or something else that will get rid of any bugs before bringing them in. thanks for any advice. I am also looking for new water lilies as these ones have not had any blossom this year or last.

Attachments

• pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 9
  • pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 8

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Iris are ok in my zone outside. I do the same as you with my lilies. Cannas, I cut back the foliage after first frost, remove most of the dirt and bring the tubers inside for the winter in the basement and replant in the spring. I believe Taro is similar. Not sure about Chameleon. I never worry about bugs myself. Usually the rain will keep them clean or the frost gets them.

What type of lilies? Usually lack fertilization and not enough sun is what limits flowering.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks JRS when you bring the tubers in do you just leave them in the basement to dry, I am in Kingston Ontario (not sure what zone,) the Iris' , do you cut them back and just leave them, mine are in the water a little bit so they would freeze, hopefully that would be okay since the ones in my garden just freeze over winter and seem to be fine, I will check and see what I can find out about the Chameleon.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have some iris in a pot among rocks of the pond edge, it has come back fine these past few years after freezing. I don't bother trimming the leaves myself. The Canna roots, I leave about an inch or two of stem and throw them in a plastic grocery bag after knocking off the worst of the dirt. Some seem to dry out too much and there may be a better way, but I have always had enough to replant.

Looks like there may be some variation depending on how close you are to the lake, but USDA 4b ballpark:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering which of my plants I can bring in for the winter, I am putting the water lilies at the bottom and was wondering about my Iris' , I have a black magic taro, African sunset Canna and a Houttuynia Chameleon. I will try and add a couple of photos here. Are there any type of spray or something else that will get rid of any bugs before bringing them in. thanks for any advice. I am also looking for new water lilies as these ones have not had any blossom this year or last.
Nice plants!! It really depends on your zone. I live in an area that gets below freezing several times throughout the winter and all my pond plants do fine. I have giant cannas, pickerel, horsetail reed, blue irises,sweet flag and hardy waterlillies. I found as long as the roots stay submerged despite the unsightly dying stems above ground, they will do just fine with the exception of my hardy waterlillies. I place them a bit deeper making sure they're fully submerged. I would not recommend any tropicals especially tropical waterlillies because they must be moved indoors. I always buy hardy plants to avoid having to move them back and forth.

Good Luck!!

Attachments

• 20220926_120845.jpg
    20220926_120845.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nice plants!! It really depends on your zone. I live in an area that gets below freezing several times throughout the winter and all my pond plants do fine. I have giant cannas, pickerel, horsetail reed, blue irises,sweet flag and hardy waterlillies. I found as long as the roots stay submerged despite the unsightly dying stems above ground, they will do just fine with the exception of my hardy waterlillies. I place them a bit deeper making sure they're fully submerged. I would not recommend any tropicals especially tropical waterlillies because they must be moved indoors. I always buy hardy plants to avoid having to move them back and forth.

Good Luck!!
I am in zone 4-5

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have some iris in a pot among rocks of the pond edge, it has come back fine these past few years after freezing. I don't bother trimming the leaves myself. The Canna roots, I leave about an inch or two of stem and throw them in a plastic grocery bag after knocking off the worst of the dirt. Some seem to dry out too much and there may be a better way, but I have always had enough to replant.

Looks like there may be some variation depending on how close you are to the lake, but USDA 4b ballpark:
I am in zone 4-5 and about 3 km from Lake Ontario

Ask a Question