JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone know if Broad-leaved Arrowhead plants grow from bulbs? Last year, I had a small Arrowhead plant but it didn't establish well before winter came. So today, I dug in the bog where I thought it was, just to see if there was anything left, and found a bulb or two. Not sure if that's what its from or if one of my Grape Hyacinth bulbs somehow ended up there, since they grow right outside the bog next to it. I should've taken a photo but now its too dark out.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Does anyone know if Broad-leaved Arrowhead plants grow from bulbs? Last year, I had a small Arrowhead plant but it didn't establish well before winter came. So today, I dug in the bog where I thought it was, just to see if there was anything left, and found a bulb or two. Not sure if that's what its from or if one of my Grape Hyacinth bulbs somehow ended up there, since they grow right outside the bog next to it. I should've taken a photo but now its too dark out.

Since Muscari bulbs will rot in saturated soil, these must be Arrowhead bulbs. Replant them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The arrowhead plant dies back completely in the late fall, leaving only the bulb. This will grow into a new plant when the weather warms sufficiently.
John

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good to know! I replanted them as soon as I found them. I put one or two in a pot in the pond last fall as well, so maybe they also survived. (y)

Ask a Question