Broken Tail...?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just spotted one of my koi doing flips endlessly, upon further inspection it looks like his tail is broken.
V01D64i.jpg

Is there anything I can do for him? He'll still eat if I guide him to food, but as far as swimming he can't do anything but flips which doesn't sound very good. Looks almost like his something broken on his spine. My other koi aren't going after him or anything, not sure if he was bullied up on to do this or something else is going on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Aww poor thing!
I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done at this point
Is your pond protected from predators?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Aww poor thing!
I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done at this point
Is your pond protected from predators?
Yes it's raised with a wooden lip which would make it pretty hard for any land critter to get at them and also has the water down a good 1ft from the top. There's bird netting over it too so no birds should be able to poke at them either.

Just found this on the web:
http://www.koivet.com/a_scoliosis.html

The picture looks like the same exact thing and the most common cause there is electrocution... makes me worried as the only thing I have over there is my pump/UV filter, I don't remember any lightning being THAT close either lately...

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Electrical shock, even low voltage, can cause spinal damage in fish.
@toups , stray electricity doesn't have to come from faulty equipment, there can be a number of other causes, some you may not suspect. It can also be very hard to find, if you have a good multimeter test wiring, electrical sources, equipment, and various points around pond to ground as even overhead or underground lines can be a source of stray electrical charges.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a fish that I am pretty sure was struck by lightning. Right after a storm she looked like that. She swam a little funny for a while, but is back to normal now.

Ask a Question