BUFF PUFF

Reaction score
buffpuff2.jpgwas just curious if anyone has every tried out those shower scrunchee thingys(buff puff) as a filter media material i was thinking about trying them out on my homemade filter seems like they would have lots of surface area and would be super easy to just lift out and squeeze them out in a bucket of pond water and put back in let me know if anyones tried them or whether or not opinions on using them buff puff.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Someone here said they used them, if I remember right they did a good job, they will collect fine stuff. Seems to me they bought them at a dollar store.

Reaction score
Personally, I love the idea of using loofas and have eyed them myself ... Even at $1 each tho (our Dollar Tree has them), they would end up being more expensive then buying rolls of course media to cut up (we pay $18 for a 24" x 54" roll), but the up side is they would be super easy to rinse as you said. I cant see why they wouldnt do great in general, as people use everything from deer fencing to curlers and cut up pvc....

Reaction score
It may have something to do with the fact that as soon as the word POND is printed on the box, the price goes insanely high for what you are actually getting. I'm working on another fry basket ... I had bought a roll of screen to use on the last basket and then a dividing panel ... came out nice ... but hubby has been doing a lot of patios lately, and the manufacturer of one product used to place thin foam sheets between the rows on the pallets ... they changed it to what looks like latch hook fabric, but smaller opening, and plastic ... I saved a bunch LOL .... Making another panel of it, but also going to put a sheet of it in the smaller pond, to use as a ledge to start a floating iris bed ... once the iris take off, they wont need any support, but to get them started, thought it was ideal:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
davepratt said:
Why do we go to a store and think hey i can use that in my pond we may need counseling. Lol. Ya i think i may give it a try though
I actually wanted to use those too but I dont have much space so I opted for the hair rollers instead. And I do look at things and think if I could use it in my pond all the time :boldblue:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I currently started using them in my freshwater tank. We were at the dollar store to buy kitchen scrubbing pads, and when I seen these hanging there, the light came down upon them .. I bought 10 ($1 each). I will buy 10 a week till the sump is filled with them.

Since I just started using them, I can't say if it's good or bad.

Reaction score
I've used them, but only when I found some 5 for $1 at a dollar store. They work fine as biomedium, but the thread that held the pouf together was weak and a couple of them came apart.

Ask a Question