puffed out gill

Reaction score
I was selling my koi as they are too big for the pond and I netted this guy and noticed the gill is not flush. not sure if it has been this way or something new. the water Tests are fine though yesterday when the water got to 80 they were hanging out under the water return so I put a bubble fountain in.
DC34AFC0-orig.jpg

1EBD9291-orig.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That looks to be a deformity Steve, Only thing I can think of that might would cause that with the water checking ok is gilld flukes and it would be breathing rather hard as the flukes get in the gilss causing the fish to gasp for air. Is it one side or both. If the raised gill plate is just on one side I would think it is probably just a deformity that was noticed when it was purchased at a smaller size.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same it is only the one side he is acting normal enough and was eating fine yesterday. it's not always easy to see such things when they are loose. finally removed all the koi I knew I would have too hopefully they tamed the goldfish down permently.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Is that a orenji ogon? pretty
Good luck on your temps.Try to keep water moving constantly

Reaction score
digginponds said:
Is that a orenji ogon? pretty
Good luck on your temps.Try to keep water moving constantly

I had planned a airpump so now is the time not much of the surface is exposed and lots of oxygenatiors but not a lot of surface movement.
I sold 3 of the 4 small koi and that will help. I just wanted to make sure on this guy he was not sick before I sold him.

Ask a Question