Teensy, Tiny Black Bugs In Skimmer

Reaction score
Just looked in my skimmer box and saw what look like tiny plastic shavings floating on the surface. Upon closer inspection (sticking my finger in the water and thousands clung to it) these bugs moved and jumped. There are probably millions of them, smaller than a pin head. I live near Atlanta, GA. Any one have ideas? Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Photos?

Whatever they may be, they have taken refuge in the safety of the skimmer. In the pond they are no more than snacks.

Reaction score
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm thinking a type of thrip.
What plants do you have in your pond?
Can you temporarily place a couple of fish in the skimmer and shut off the pumps for an hour?

Reaction score
I was planning to stick a few minnows in there, yes good idea. Not sure about setting it on fire though...

Reaction score
Yes they are indeed springtails. Apparently harmless. I turned off the pump, propped open the skimmer flap and submerged a light. The minnows were attracted to it and went into the skimmer. None of the koi or goldfish bothered to try. Don't think they ate a lot, just seemed to like hanging out in a new place. I'll scoop them out and from time to time, into the main pond, too bad the fish couldn't enjoy them.

Ask a Question