building a 55 gal biological filter

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
hello DrCase

i new here,

i wan make biological filter for my pond after see ur pic,seen it easy to do but after long it running,need to clean these filter mat?once a year?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it is built right, you don't need the filter mat at all. I use 1 1/2" long pieces of 1/2" irrigation tubing in mine. 7000 of them. The water has to perculate up through all these to an overflow. By then, all the solids fall to the sump where my 2" dump valve is. 45 seconds, once a week to clean it and you don't get wet doing it. Your plants enjoy the muck that comes out when flushing and the outflow water is as clear as bottled water coming out of the 55 gallon filter.

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
hello DrDave,
can show pic that u use irrigation tubing...cos i poor english,so i prefer pic,so i can understand easy,thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My laptop is out for repair. When I get it back, I will be able to process pictures again. That will not be before January 20th. These are just half inch black irrigation tubing, cut an inch and a half long. You can use any plastic to do the same, I had the irrigation tubing so I used it.

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
cool u say have 7000 of them that mean u put whole 1 1/2" long pieces of 1/2" irrigation tubing in 55 gal for clean water.. i live here malaysia find filter mat cheap as RM10(US3) 5feet..cheap than irrigation tubing lol...then cleaning is flush away solids bottom 55 gal?..think DrDave's idea very good i will follow lol...than mess cleaning filter mat..

anyway thanks DrDave reply,

my pond's photo show up soon..happy new year!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hi koden ...you can use your cheap filter mat cut it up into small pieces and fill the drum up.....i never cleaned my filters yet ...like DrDave all we do is drain the filter from the bottom and let the muck out...

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
thanks DrCase replying,

think i will add brush,filter mat,tube...will get pic and post it later..

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
hello anybody

i done install 2 barrel 55 gal drum,sorry make u wait for me put photo next time for see mine lol..these 2 barrel i get from my fren work as fishermen,these drum use float fish farm but it(drum) drift into sea then landed on beach no far fish farm..no need to buy new one lol..

building like DrCase's 2 drum dig lot my pocket...also buy lot glue fiberglass to glue my dad's pond since pond lot leaking...omg my money...lol..

Reaction score
I'm planning to build my 55G bio filter to pump from the bottom up. All of you guys are piping water from the top going down and then going back up. Is it just preference?

BTW, this site is great! You guys are helping me out a lot!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Doing it our way is 1 less hole to seal that could leak. Trust me, with all the places you have to worry about leaking this one is the easiest to avoid.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Let me add that gravity is a real help to keep the solids in the bottom of the filter.

Reaction score
DrCase,

My basement bond frame is finished... All lined with 1/2" styrofoam. Now I just need to figure out how wrap it nicely.

Okay... I'm now sourcing price/parts for plumbing. Did you use real bulkheads or the DIY variety? They look like real bulkheads to me. I saw some fittings at HD that would work for DIY bulkheads, but there's not much surface area for sealing. Looks like I'm not going to cheap out here. I'll spend the $15 for 2" bulkheads.

Anyway... Wow, you actually vented your return! That's not really a requirement, is it?

After thinking about this... Last thing I want is have any leaks in a basement pond. I'll pipe everything in from the top. I'm not sure if I'm going to do a dump valve. If it get pissed off enough in the future I will. Looks like I need to raise the barrels up a bit with cinder blocks. I would like to add a dump valve, but I don't think I will.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Not adding a 2" dump valve near the bottom will make your life hell later. It takes only 45 seconds once a week to clean it and you don't even get your hands wet.

Reaction score
Is there a step by step instructions for this filter with sizes of pipes and lengths, etc?

Ask a Question