Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That is a shame. While it is drained for repair, double or triple the liner with scraps where rocks might fall again.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
At least you know one spot to look if you loose water..
Its been a long go for you..
Cant wait to see done pics

Reaction score
I dont think there is even a hole. It was not the huge rock, no thats not going to fall. This one was smaller but stull heavy and with sharp edges. Im now using a different rock to over hang the pond at the bottom of the stream. A really long but very very thin rock (36"x~12" x less than an inch think) and now with the rock that fell on top of it in holding it from falling in. So unless this one breaks, wich is a possibility, I should be good. Thou its so thin I doubt it could do much damage. The one I was previously usingIt was just too short of a rock and shapped like a V so to have it overhing the way I did (long edge out) was asking for trouble. And the dirt under it colapsed. Sucks my mom is coming this wekend and I dont have it done. Ive got to at least get the waterfall going so it all goes in the pond.

Reaction score
aviator79 said:
And the dirt under it colapsed.
You mean amongst all that rock, you even have dirt?:D
I built my lower spillway by stacking one flat stone on top of another in a staggered fashion. You can see the pix in a previous post in this thread. I tried one stone at first, but couldn't get it to set real stable.

Reaction score
This is an interesting subject and tricky. I had tried the same thing for a large overhang rock and ran into the same issue as in getting it to set right with enough overhang. If you think about it like stairs I found that you must build the riser (stone the goes up to the overhang rock) before you can really set your tread (overhang rock). Then find small rocks to shim under to level it out. Still hard to do cause it required me to lift that rock many times but, it worked. I'm finding that I like smaller flat stones that I can stack like shingles to make a larger spill over cause they’re easier to work with.

Reaction score
I called my husband in to help on my spillway. I put foam on the liner where the bottom stone would lay. I then jumped into the pond and had my hubby hand the bottom stone to me. I then set it in place and held it there with one hand and my side. (It would not have stayed on it's own as to how much was hanging over) and put a line of foam on top of it where the top stone would lay. I then had my hubby set the top rock on. The weight and position of the top rock holds the bottom rock in place. I might add that the top rock does extend into my upper pool a bit, but that's where I hide my underwater light that shines onto the waterfall.

Reaction score
Well Here is pics of my progress. Im not sure I like it but think im going to go with it. Basically the tall slim jim trash can will sit just to the left of the stock tank. Its height the same as the stock tank. The water will exit out the back and to to a pool of rocks working its way to the big rock between the two big rocks. Spill over that to a pool of rocks until it gets to the V rock holding the long thin one. It will volow the V down dumping on the long thin one, which is basically level so I buld up the edges slightly with whatever to get it to follow it out to the end and dribble off how I want to all around the front. SO what do you think? Go with it or try again (with the end, not the big rocks, those are staying).
Thanks

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

Reaction score
The only thing I would recommend would be to shim the V rock a little more level. That will keep your water flow more even over your spillway rock. I know you said the "big rocks" on each side are staying, but are you able to run the liner under and up behind them? That would help hide the liner and prevent some leaking. As it is, either you'll have liner showing or it looks like you will have to "glue" the liner to the rock and no matter how hard you try you could still end up with some leaking.

Reaction score
Where is your final water level at, is it at that point now? I personaly don't like to see liner exposed above the water line. As nice as your work is I'm sure it will turn out nice but, it seems as if you should have a shelf to stack rocks up to the ledge rack so you don't see liner.

Reaction score
Ya, I havent figured it out yet, but I dont want it showing. My idea was to glue the liner in place and once full cut it to exactly full then glue on really thin flat rocks. The issue is my really thin flat rocks got that way because they are really flaky so im not sure how well they will hold up. So the other idea would be to do this, but with stone veneer and morter them in place. But what I would need to make it work would be how like some tile is held together with like a string mesh so it keeps the proper pattern. I would need that in the nineer so the top could be mortored in place on the exposed rock on the bottom could overhand the liner and I could just glue that to the liner....Iduno.

Reaction score
That's a cool idea. I was thinking of using silicone to attach flag stone in a L shape and overhang the pond liner. Not sure if Silicone will hold it well enough.

Reaction score
My only concern would be that if you needed to do anything with the liner you would need to tear out the over lap. Have you looked at that fake rock that is on a role of rubber. Some one mentioned it on the forum and at first I didn't even know what they were talking about cause it looked like so real on the pic. That might be a good way to go.

Ask a Question