Building a 8'x10'x5' deep pond into basically solid rock 6" under ground

Reaction score
hmms, that looks like it would be the ticket. What do you guys think? I wonder hw the seam will be where it ends and the real rock starts...well I guess I will get some. Not sure how much tou as if I got 4 rolls it would be $130. Thou im sure thats less than any peble vineer or whatever would cost. And the pebble or vineer may looks silly as this may look real im hoping.

Reaction score
Well Im getting 5 rolls for Rock-on-a-Roll and 24 cans of Great stuff pond and stone foam. This along with Polyethylene flashing sealant, and permatex silicone spray (not sure if this is fish safe?) I think I should be able to finish this project.

SO can I put the fish in or? Watching the leaves float around is cool and all but they seam like there dead and just go with the current. Im thinking fish might be more interesting.

Reaction score
I would think you could but, would only get one or two as test subject for winter. Will you be doing Koi?

Reaction score
Yes it is over 2000gal I think so im thinking like 7 koi, but only start with a few. I just wanted to get the filter going sense I bought all the stuff, but felt I need some fish in there to do it. Its just getting cold so I wouldnt be feeding them long so Im not sure if its worth it. But at the same time ive put so much into this pond and it would be nice to have the feeling of accompleshment by putting in some koi.

I have this place nearby me but im really not looking to spend a lot.
http://awatergarden.com/

pics of streem will be up tonight. Forgot to upload them.

Reaction score
Some progress:

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would make sure you get your bio system in place and have no more than your planned 7 fish for starters. Once the pond has cycled, 2-3 weeks, adding more fish should not present any problems.

Reaction score
Well I had major leakage when I tried to run the waterfall overnight so I need to get that resolved before I get fish. Got 24 cans of waterfall foam on the way so that that should do it.
I got my rock on a roll. Its decent looking especially under water. Thou it is different enough I think I need to have the seam line up with the corner of the rock. I started cutting the liner last night, but im unsure of what to use for glue. Im thinking of using the polyurethane flashing glue do glue the liner to rock and then either block adhesive or contact cement as I don’t want to use the black polyurethane glue or foam as it will likely squeeze out the edge and look crappy. The block adhesive is tan thou so it should blend in. Just how well will it hold? I also was thinking silicone spray or contact cement.
The place I bought the rock on a roll recommended contact cement available from roofing supply places specifically intended for gluing EPDM to a wide variety of other surfaces including stone. But I don’t know where to get that. Any ideas on what to use? And I will have some waterfall foam for sale It looks like...
here is the e-mail about the rock on a roll:
Hi Andrew,

Okay, I get the feeling that once you've got something in your head, you just don't let it go. That is an astonishing project you've got going there.

To answer your question, I think the Rock-on-a-Roll would work well. I went through the forum kind of fast, so I didn't see what you were thinking of using for gluing the liner to the stones. I have used a contact adhesive available from roofing supply places that is specifically intended for glueing EPDM to a wide variety of other surfaces, including stone. It's worked fantastically but it may be hard to find. Anyway, whatever you use for that should work well for gluing on the Rock--on-a-Roll.

The challenge is finishing the upper edge. Because the coloring of the Rock-on-a-Roll matches the stones you have pretty well, it may be possible to carefully cut the Rock-on-a-Roll to come just above the liner, then glue it to the real stone. It'll take a little experimenting, but I feel confident that it will work for you.

You can buy just one roll to try. If it works well and you want more, I can send the others without charging you shipping. Alternatively, you can order as much as you need, try one of the rolls and if you don't like it return all the rolls you purchased (including the one you tried) for a full refund, including the return shipping (that's my standard guarantee). I don't have any discounts unless you are ordering in larger quantities, of say 25 rolls or more.

If you want to discuss this in more detail, please feel free to call me at 612-282-0757 (that's my cell) and I will try to help you develop some ideas for how this might work.

I really appreciate what you are doing Andrew. It's a massive untertaking but will be well work the effort in the end, I promise. Let me know if you have any other questions as you are finishing, and I will be glad to help if I can.

Jeff Mittelmark
Aquatica Water Gardens
www.AquaticaWaterGardensInc.com

Hello,
I was interested in buying some of this to finish my pond and cover the liner inside. I made my pond into solid rock (not soil, not clay, a solid ledge 6" underground) and its about 5' deep with a rock edge. So I need to cover this inside rock edge with something to over lap where the liner comes up and I was shown your product. I'm wondering how it will look where it attaches to the rock. Will the seam between the rock and the rock on a roll be noticeable?
Here is my pond build for pics. I cant see them as photobucket is blocked at work, but there are a bunch on each page.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/bui...cally-solid-rock-6-under-ground-t3896p13.html

So would you think this would work for the inside? I'm going to cut the liner at the max water height then glue it to the inside of the rocks, then put this over it and down however far into the pond it will go to cover the black. I'm hoping to make it look as natural as possible. Ideally I would have liked to build it more level with the grade to be more natural rather than sticking it out 1' plus, but with my Girlfriend having a 4 year old, predators, leaves and needing to get as much water in as possible I had to do it this way. Anyways, the point is it was a lot of work and hoping this will be the finishing touch to make it perfect.
I'm thinking I need 4 or more rolls? Are there any discounts?

Thanks

Reaction score
Ya, that email was really nice of him to send. And if I don’t need all 5 or 6 that I bought I can send them back. Im going to go with contact cement for the rock on a roll. The polyurethane will work good for the liner, but the rock on a roll is heavy and the block adhesive I was thinking of using takes to long to dry and the weight of the stuff will need to be supported until it dries, but tape is not going to stick to this stuff. Contact cement says it will work on rubber and concrete so i will just clean both surfaces and glue it on and it should stick immediately as contact cement does. And if I glue it on past the corner of the rock then I can just take a razor and trim it once its completely dry. Should work great I think.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
that sounds pretty good ...im sure i speak for most on this forum in saying i dont think i have ever seen anyone work quite so hard in building a pond ! :banana:
and cant wait to see it finished and with happy fish swimming about !!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Use acetone for your final clean. Be very careful, it has a low flash point. It is, by far the best solvent for your EPDM. It absorbs water and dries with no residue.

Ask a Question