Building a minumum koi pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Koi doesnt have fantail (I've never seen or heard of one, but I could be wrong!) I cant see the tail in the picture. But yes they look like Shubunkin. You dont see those type of marking in koi.

If you have a fantail, then they might be what's called Watonai (a shubunkin with fantail) which I'm a huge fan :)

They grow to about 10-12 inches total and winter hardy. easy to care for too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Koi doesnt have fantail (I've never seen or heard of one, but I could be wrong!) I cant see the tail in the picture. But yes they look like Shubunkin. You dont see those type of marking in koi.

If you have a fantail, then they might be what's called Watonai (a shubunkin with fantail) which I'm a huge fan :)

They grow to about 10-12 inches total and winter hardy. easy to care for too.
I think you are right! I beleive these are shus! Now I have to rethink my strategies. I was panniced about the Koi idea. Now I feel really stupid. Lol. Time to look into shu care! I ordered fall food for Koi too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
IMG_1002.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sorry for the glare
Ipad not the greatest pic taker
Yep, deep forked tail...all the colors of Shus. I just thought they were poor quality Wal mart Koi, lol. Walmart puts shus and koi in same tank so my neighbor (nor those walmart ppl) know the difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Then you have Watonai, congratz!

They are easy to care. Koi food is fine for them :) I used Koi food too. I actually didnt feed them all year this year, and they are doing fine.
You just dont need to worry about space. Watonai doesnt grow that big.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Well either way, i still want to build this big pond...just means I can get more fish! Lol. Im hoping maybe just a couple big submersible filters will be enough? I know its not a big pond to you guys, but more then enough for us to handle. 8x6x3ft or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Just got my water test kit and everything is excellent...nitrites, ammonia levels and phosphate. But....my Ph is high...around 9. Should I be concerned?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't get any leaves but if you get pine needles it could cause a lot of problems with your ph .looks like a shubbie to me also.shubbies breed like goldfish to many and never stop .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine some times gets up to 9 and I try to keep it stabilized with crushed oyster shells from tractor supply they use them to make chicken egg shells harder .I keep a bag in each filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Maifan stones are in the end of my pump. I wonder if I can put a small bag of oyster shells in that? My pump is a Grech Cup 139

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It can just hang down on the side .I use fine mesh dollar store laundry bags or you can use tulle that the use for bride dresses and veils

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
It can just hang down on the side .I use fine mesh dollar store laundry bags or you can use tulle that the use for bride dresses and veils
Oh awesome! Ill have to see if my local tractor supply carries it. Too bad Im not in LA anymore, I could just scoop them out of my driveway, lol

Ask a Question