sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the idea you have ,never thought of doing something like that .I have 4 of those preforms .Tell that boy to watch where he pees :cheerful:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
those little peckers have no aim :D :) ;) I raised 2 boys and know all about that .House of men too and the darn seat was always up .I had a bidet every night

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea, when we had our first very little pond back when in New Mexico, the youngest of our three boys and his best friend assumed the position (pants still zipped) at the edge of the pond and said they would be the feature. Wisely, we passed but they were the role models for my little prince. The story behind the little boy, "so they say" is: The King of somewhere was looking for his son the prince. All the kingdom took part in the search and finally the little prince was found peeing in the creek, river, lake, pond whatever, and the king thought it was so adorable he had the statue made. Well, there you have it. But this little guy does have much better aim than most little boys :))

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally new pix of the pond build.
IMG_1537.JPG
This is the upper pond with a rubbermaid tub used for waterfall and filter, set in dirt so it holds it in place. Soon will get plants for the basket sitting in the tub. You can see the bog set in the middle of the upper pond. At one time I had water coming out of "Mike's" mouth but the grand kids thought it was weird for their dad to be in the pond spitting water. The water from the pump splits for the UV filter and for the bog. Bog input feeds into the bottom of the bog.
IMG_1538.JPG
This is the lower pond with a small skimmer that leads to the 4500gph pump.
IMG_1539.JPG
This is the whole pond showing the beginning to end. Waiting for the plants to grow. I don't know, they just never grow as fast as I would like. :cry: Have to set all the flagstone and get ground cover in between them. Still lots of work, (as usual for us pond people,) have to hook up the electrical, finish the rest of the yard blah, blah blah.

Waiting for the water to clear so I can get some fish!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
because preforms have set depths and pond liner you can dig as deep as you want .Only thing with that is preforms now come bigger and deeper .I can understand there concern as children can drown .Plus liability .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
i lived woodbridge about 6 yrs (Lakeridge section) when I was in the Marines; nice area; still live in PW county, up in Gainesville VA. you are welcome to contact me. I'm not as knowledgeable about fish and filters and stuff like that but I've got canals and aqueducts in my backyard made of concrete and some with concrete/liner/sandwiched; a bit unconventional. Email me if you like: (e-mail address removed)

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been in North Carolina with our son and his family so have been out of touch. That is right Sissy, the liability with deeper than 18" changes as that is considered more like a pool and county regs generally require a 6' fence for safety. I did not even care to deal with the HOA regarding this. Also our slope is pretty severe with lots of tree roots and rocks so digging for a free form liner was quite a challenge. This is working out really rather well I think and it suits us for the time being. It will be very pretty with lots of flora, nice sound, and some goldies and shubunkins. We also have little grand children with more expected and having it shallow makes for happier mommies. I will be home Saturday and can't wait to see how much has changed. Hopefully the water will have cleared up. Even though there isn't a large amount of water I hate the thought of draining to get all the sludge and cloudiness out. Never had that problem before with the 3k and 5k pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Funny thing is I saw a sight on the internet that sell ponds the size and depth of swimming pools and some even have built in islands in the middle .Cost alot though .Hope you had a good time in NC .I took a drive down to Greensboro last week only an hour from my house .Just use the quilt batting and try to see if it is that bad or if you can save yourself some time

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep heavy rain storm hit here half an hour ago .I am glad I raised my pond up higher cuts down on dirt and stuff from being washed in ,Especially since the property goes up hill more behind the pond .Sun just came out but I see more dark clouds coming in from NC

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love my dogs, really I do. But we have a yellow lab with a nose and determination I wish I had (the determination, not the nose!) She followed a chipmunk and had to remove the weir from the waterfall filter box in order to pursue its scent. Of course, the pond was almost completely drained, but she must have finished her "investigation" just before I returned home since it wasn't completely empty. God bless her!!
IMG_0279.JPGIMG_0278.JPG
And she messed up the bog plants. It was just a rubbermaid tub but still... Ultimately, it worked out OK, since I like the new look better, but it was alot of work to fix. IMG_1548.JPG
Since the bog works as a filter we didn't really need the box. We have room at the bottom by the pump if we find we need a S&G. Steve and I are undecided about having "Mike" sitting at the top. But I figure soon he will be dressed in vines and look perfect. I still have some kind of leak, wicking or other but it keeps raining so much I have not been able to find it. But all things considered, I am very happy with it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well she protected her home stead from that nasty rodent :cheerful: We have been getting one or two storms a day and all have been bad with heavy downpours

Ask a Question