Bumps on Goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a fairly new pond owner (we upgraded a small "water feature" only pond to a larger one with fish and plants) I just want my pond to thrive. I don't have a muck problem at this time and except for my one fish with a couple of "bumps" the fish seem healthy.

I thought that I needed to add bacteria to sustain the bio filtration system. So is it a case of adding at the start only or a maintenance protocol? Or, are there signs to look for (i.e. an increase of muck, etc.) that would indicate if I can stop / need to continue?

I really appreciate the input from the experienced pond folks here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use liquid Microbe-Lift professional blend. (and yes, it stinks to high heaven!) Supposedly it's composed of 80% 'regular' microbe-lift beneficial bacteria and 10% each of something specifically for fish & plants. I also use dry Muck Buster, alternating between the two different formulas when I add them (usually weekly at the start of the season, only randomly or not at all during summer as long as water clarity stays good) ending with the Muck Buster in fall to help break down any leaves, etc... that I don't manage to get out before winter (although I'm pretty obsessive about putting the pond to bed for the season in a very clean state, wind & leaves do happen here in the woods!)

I've noticed the biggest difference early in the season when the perennial plants aren't all up & running yet, but the onslaught of spawning amphibians is here flailing around, stirring things up & basically making a huge mess of things! If I'm diligent with adding the bacteria, things clear up much quicker than if I don't. I've tried 'waiting it out' and spent months being very frustrated. It's probably also important to note - I do not have a bog. I have two biofalls & two skimmers. My upper pool is a shallow (4 - 6" deep) flow through area that is filled with plants, but that's not the same. However, my water is crystal clear, my 14 koi (plus one random goldfish) are healthy, so I'm happy. It's working for me & my pond, so I'm gonna go with 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it!' :)
if it ain't 'me', don't fix it??? Not sure how to take that...heh heh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bacteria you have been adding has nothing to do with those bio balls. They are totally different types of bacteria.

Your bio system produces it's own bacteria of the kinds it needs. You never have to add those. They just appear when needed and when conditions are right for them.

It's called the nitrogen cycle and it goes on 24/7, 365 days of every year in every living thing on this planet.

As long as there is ammonia in the pond, (from the fish), aerated water, something to grow on, (those bio balls), and temperatures over freezing and below boiling, those bacteria will grow. And they will increase to the amount needed to take care of all the ammonia being generated in your pond.

You just sit back and do nothing. The pond and your filtration system gladly do all the work.

Ask a Question