Small Pimple Like Bumps on Koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi -
With 30 years of experience, I'm unsure what this is. Possibly some variation of Koi Pox Virus. Pics below. Fish are starting to eat as water temps are now
55-59F depending. Acting healthy and no flashing etc. Water parameters are perfect. One koi had one, 2 years ago and wrote it off as harmless koi pox virus.
Last year it still had the same one. This year, 3 koi have them. One has 3, the other 2 and another just 1. I can easily eliminate 8 possibilities but not all.
Look familiar to anyone knowledgeable? Try to avoid anesthetizing, taking a slide and taking mic out. Thought possible doing a PP treatment but if I have to isolate it, I will. The small pink like pimples are pretty obvious. Koi are about 22-24" each. Only 3 out of 10 have this.
Thanks all ....

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1902.jpeg
    IMG_1902.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1904.jpeg
    IMG_1904.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 251

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I could help, but only have shubbies. Nice looking fish. I am sure the koi keepers will chime in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks I have it partially narrowed down and the treatment in place to start tomorrow morning.
What are your thoughts and what treatment will you begin. I have koi, but haven't experienced something like this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What are your thoughts and what treatment will you begin. I have koi, but haven't experienced something like this.

Well rather than netting and anesthetizing 3-4 koi and scoping since it's a slow and non aggressive scenario right now, I'll do a PP treatment for 7-8 hours in the morning. Scares many but quite safe and effective when you know what your doing. After that, I'll follow up with Praziquantel naturally mixed with 1 dose of Proform C the next day and lastly, day 3, Dimilin 25 .... Obviously not all in one day lol. I think it could only be 3 out a possible 12 things. This is the first time I had to resort to this in about 10 years and that was just a simple PP treatment. My guess after a close number of looks are Koi Pox Virus ( no biggie ) possibly lice bites and anchor worm though I don't see the anchor. One just might be a bruise. Any lingering protozoans, especially this time of year will be taken care of. Filter on bypass during the pp but I just started it up a few days ago so it'll reseed quickly anyway. Don't recall the last time I lost a fish due to disease and don't want to start now. There 10, all a good size of near 2 footers. I know them all and all there habits and non are acting sick, eating well which I'm just slowly starting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good luck @barryian . I'm not a koi nor fish expert, but they do all look healthy which should work in their favor, whatever it is you're dealing with!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi -
With 30 years of experience, I'm unsure what this is. Possibly some variation of Koi Pox Virus. Pics below. Fish are starting to eat as water temps are now
55-59F depending. Acting healthy and no flashing etc. Water parameters are perfect. One koi had one, 2 years ago and wrote it off as harmless koi pox virus.
Last year it still had the same one. This year, 3 koi have them. One has 3, the other 2 and another just 1. I can easily eliminate 8 possibilities but not all.
Look familiar to anyone knowledgeable? Try to avoid anesthetizing, taking a slide and taking mic out. Thought possible doing a PP treatment but if I have to isolate it, I will. The small pink like pimples are pretty obvious. Koi are about 22-24" each. Only 3 out of 10 have this.
Thanks all ....
Barryian
I noticed our only black koi had a swollen belly 4 weeks ago. I've kept my eye on him as I don't want to lose any others in our backyard koi pond. I wad thinking droopsy, still not sure. We've been buying high end product that's been amazing. The pond seems in balance. However, today I noticed on my favorite koi, which is much like your white and orange, 2 pink pimple looking spots on top and would be behind the gills, but up top. When I googled koi w pimple like spots your post came up and it's just as you described. How did the treatment work? I don't have on hand a tub to separate the fish. I have used twice now stress coat. It's helped the black one somewhat, but his belly scales still concern me. My son thot eggs. Tempatures in Kansas City have been all over the place.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jean White Hello and welcome to our group. This post is a year old and I’m not sure if the OP is still around and monitoring the forum.

You might want to begin a separate thread of your own, and post it under our “illnesses” topic. Your chances of having someone see it and be able to help you will be better. Also, go over to our “introductions “ topic and tell us about your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is quite sometime later, close to a year but just saw this. The fish are fine, the bumps were harmless koi pox which the PP treatment did little for but the temps heating up took them away. Even now in February, they still gone!

Ask a Question