BUSY DAY FOR ME.....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
BUSY DAY BUT GOT THE POND CLEANED OUT AND REFILLED TODAY. GONNA START WITH ALL FRESH WATER THIS YEAR, FOR A CHANGE INSTEAD OF PUMPING THE WATER FROM THE BASEMENT POND...HOPE THIS DOESNT SCREW MY RYTHIM UP. AND BRING BAD LUCK....LILLIES ARE STARTING TO SHOW SOME LIFE, PULLED THE FILTER FROM THE WATERFALL MOUND, GONNA RAISE THE FALLS 4"-6" FOR A BIT MORE SOUND. TESTING OUT MY NEW LAGUNA PUMP. ITS 2150 GPH. IN THE PICS ITS JUST SHOOTONG OUT OF A PIECE OF 1&1/2" PVC....SLICED MY FINGER OPEN ON A WATERFALL ROCK...HAD TO KEEP WORKING BEFORE IT STARTED TO THROB! ITS STARTING NOW...OUCH...ANY WAYS....I'LL SEE IF I CAN WORK ON THE FALLS TOMORROW ...WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT GOING FOR RESURECTION SUNDAY....GOD WILLING! ..GONNA HAVE A HOUSE FULL!

Attachments

• SANY1736.JPG
    SANY1736.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 299
  • SANY1737.JPG
    SANY1737.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 358
  • SANY1738.JPG
    SANY1738.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 311
  • SANY1739.JPG
    SANY1739.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looks great! Can't wait to see it with the falls done. Keep us posted. How long are you going to let it cycle before you put your fish in that fresh water?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
...no need to cycle a pond in my opinion...never have cycled one and never had a problem either!! without a source of ammonias what is it gonna cycle?...put the fish in and feed lightly, slowly building the amount of food fed. but, its likely too cold for feeding now, so i'll probably wait a couple weeks or so. we'll see how the weather behaves!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well you sure are getting a lot of air into the pond with that geyser going in the pond .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a gusher alright! Hmmmmmmmmmm, you don't cycle eh? Interesting as I thought that was a biggy to do first. Like I've heard people say they threw in some ammonia etc. to get it started. I will be learning something new here I guess seeing how your fish do.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
looks good koiguy, will be interested to see how the laguna pump holds up for you, have been thinking of getting that series next time I need a new pump, it seems like its pushing some good flow with that geyser anyway. when i first turned on my smartpond 5100 gph hour pump for my stream it shoots a jet of water about 5' up before it fills my upper pool, cool to see. if it ever dies I was looking at getting the laguna 4200 gph to replace it. good luck with getting everything ready by easter, some whiskey or beer will help the pain in the finger...

Reaction score
You can add ammonia...but the water temp has to be high enough for the bacteria to reproduce and at lower temps the ammonia isn't toxic to fish, so generally not much to worry about.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont cycle my ponds because ....its not really a neccessity, and i bring my media from one filter to the next when i move the fish...so i always have an active aerobic bacterial colony.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
i dont cycle my ponds because ....its not really a neccessity, and i bring my media from one filter to the next when i move the fish...so i always have an active aerobic bacterial colony.

I understand now koiguy.............have bacteria, will travel,lol!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks good! I'm hoping I can manage to move the filter media to the new pond and keep things going without really going through a new cycle as well.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I move mine twice a year...into the basement and back outside...but this is the first time without swapping the water too....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do add a de-chlorinator to your water before putting your fish in since you aren't waiting for it to cycle?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Do add a de-chlorinator to your water before putting your fish in since you aren't waiting for it to cycle?
DECHLORINATOR? WHATS THAT?.....of course i dechlorinated...but for the plants, not the fish. it'll be another 3 to 4 weeks probably before the fish go outside. depending on weather, how fast the plants get going, and such. dont wanna put them outside with all open water. saw a heron in the creek yesterday. not much more than 100 yards from my yard....their early gettin' back this year like everything else.

Ask a Question