Butterfly Field Of Dreams

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ugh! They’re called Oleander aphids! I’ve tried a few things to get rid of them (lots of remedies online), the only thing that has worked for me is......to manually squish them! Yuck, but it worked!

Beautiful flowers! It’s odd, but most of the flowers I have, have already bloomed (or haven’t bloomed yet), but am just now seeing a few butterflies — when I’m in a flower off-period!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So pretty! Even if it's just one butterfly, it's worth it - right? We get a lot of monarchs and swallowtails around his time every year. They love the milkweed and the butterfly bushes. So much fun to watch them go from blossom to blossom - they are like nature's fairies!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had butterflies in early spring and then the weather got crazy. I think they all froze! Now they are coming back. Dozens of small white cabbage butterflies and a few swallowtails.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh. Cabbage butterflies. Not my fav! I know they serve a purpose, but can they just leave my brassicas alone?!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Something has completely stripped my red and blue cardinal flower plants as well as the marsh mallow. Thinking its the cabbage bugs! Another monarch in the garden today but it's too busy to pose for pics!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful garden! Thanks for the update :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The monarch eggs are hatching! almost every leaf I checked either had an egg or tiny caterpillar. and of course, aphids but they don't seem to be bothering the plants so far. Going to be fun watching these guys grow.
005.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great about the caterpillars! Love the colors in your gardens.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw three big fat monarch caterpillars on the swamp milk weed today. They look darn healthy. The plants are covered with aphids, more than I have ever seen. Ignoring so I don't hurt the caterpillars.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Finally getting a lot of butterflies in the garden. The yellow swallowtails seem to love the joe pye weed. My monarch caterpillars are disappering. I suspect the birds are getting them.
006.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 183

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just did an update on the gardening forum and then went out to the garden. About a dozen female monarchs flying around the garden and I thought the birds had got all my caterpillars but no! My milkweed plants are being stripped- by caterpillars! counted over 4 dozen. They are so thick the plant are actually shaking from the chewing! I honestly didn't expect to see more than a couple of butterflies this year but they found the garden!
003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
011.JPG
005.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just counted a bunch on my plants. I am worried they are going to run out of food! the plants are real low on leaves. Just posted about should I try and save them.

Ask a Question