Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
Hungry little devils! Nothing left but stems on the 3 big milkweed beds. They are finding the plants in the yard as well as the ones further back in the garden. Still have butterflies laying eggs!
005.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way to go! I need to check on mine and plant a lot more for next year.

My plants are almost totally stripped!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
001.JPG
Well, I brought some of the caterpillars inside and put them in a large aquarium. The butterfies are gone from the garden and the caterpillars have all disappeared. I'm hoping to have a large percentage of these guys hatch out. Within 24 hours they started climbing up and hanging. 4 crysalis so far. Cats love watching their new friends.
002.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
As of this morning, i counted 17 chrysalis that look to hatch soon. Went for a cup of coffee and there are 3 more butterflies. It is raining now so hoping for a break in the weather to release them. In the mean time, house kitties are on lock-down.
008.JPG
009.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
7 more this morning! I had to euthanize one from yesterday, the wings were malformed and it wasn't able to fly. We are getting rain and wind from Florence and the butterflies want to go so put the vase of flowers under the canopy on the deck so they can judge when its safe to go. Not good having butterflies loose in the house with kitties looking at the cute new toys!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, spring is almost here! I haven't even started to clean out the butterfly garden as my koi get 1st priority. I over wintered 6 black swallowtail chrysilas and they are hatching. The weather is still cool so guess I should have waited to bring them in. one hatched a few days ago and I have been trying hard to keep my kitties from it. Today another hatched. Also a male. I was going to release the older one today but they started fighting! Both have been released to go feast on the neighbors blooming trees. Not bringing any bugs in this year!

Ask a Question