addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh no! I would not be able to sleep knowing they were in the house.
They are well contained! The bees are clustered around the queen on the left hand side.
20190328_102733.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 Wow look at all those bees! Very cool looking and right there on you kitchen counter! When all is quiet from tv sounds etc. can you hear them buzzing or does that happen only when flying?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can hear them over the TV. Non stop buzzing.
I spray them lightly with sugar water for food. they have a can of sugar water but only two sm holes. Spraying them gives them more food to eat.
We picked them up to late to hive. It was a cold night. 22f

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just hope they don't keep you awake at night but then maybe it relaxes you so you can sleep better @addy1

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol dont hear them in the bedroom. And they settle down when it is dark. You can hear the hives from everywhere in our yard.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good property protection from those who don't know bees.................who would enter a place w/all those bees sounding off!
Better than a ferocious Doberman

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am guarded by those little stinging bugs everywhere in the yard. Occasionally one decides I am a real threat (when working the yard not the hives). Occasionally that one that will not go away but keeps bumping me (warning signs), it gets squished. Hate to do it, but hate getting stung also. They get tangled in my hair all of the time.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Finally getting the butterfly garden cleaned out. A lot of the plants from last year came back. I planted seed to fill in but think I may have overdone it. 72count trays of 4 kinds of milkweed plus 10 other trays of other plants & herbs. Just got the last put in today and have most of leaves and debris cleared so will be ready for the butterfly invasion. We already have tiger and black swallowtails as well as several smaller species. Ponds are cleaned and basically self sufficient now so bugs getting the attention.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Spotted the first monarch today! A female who would not pose for the camera. I suspect she is laying eggs. The native milkweed is just starting to bloom but the other varieties are still small yet. Hopefully they will get to grow before the hungry caterpillars get them.

Attachments

• 0606191307.jpg
    0606191307.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 126

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've been seeing a few around here too! Lot's of Swallow Tails also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just love this the pollinators need help and places to have their babies feed and grow. I worked within the school system here when my kids were young and we design butterfly garden and the kindergarteners would grow monarchs and they would set them free in the butterfly garden. What a wonderful time it was and I have created many of my perennial beds specifically for the monarchs and other butterflies and pollinators that entertain my garden. I just saw my first Monarch today and I know he's headed for Canada. What an amazing journey they take. Hope to go down to Texas in the fall sometime and watch them cross over into Mexico it's on my bucket list So glad there's other butterfly folks out there it's been a passion mine for decades.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was shocked when I looked outside at the garden. I just watered this morning and there are over a dozen tiger swallowtails flying around. They seem to be enjoying the freshly watered flowers. Spotted one zebra swallowtail but it flew off, too many tigers around! The garden is in full bloom so hopefully next year I wont have to plant too many things.View attachment 122413View attachment 122414View attachment 122415View attachment 122416View attachment 122417View attachment 122418View attachment 122419View attachment 122420View attachment 122421View attachment 122422View attachment 122423

Ask a Question