Buy new liner?

Re-dig or buy new liner or both

• Re-dig slightly smaller, but also a bit deeper.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy big liner for big $. (What do I do with the old one?)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys!

Sorry it’s been a while I’ve been really busy with summer camp work, school, etc.. you guys are really do another update on my pond problem.

This summer my new brother-in-law and I build a wall to fill in some soil for the pond, making it slightly smaller, but this allowed the liner to fit much better. It’s been filled for about a week now with the fountain/filter running. (It has a few floating plants also!) And there is a new pondguy uv and biological filter on the way this week!

With the change in size, we most likely won’t have a avalanche again. So water quality is looking good!

ps. I’ll try to send a picture when I have the time.

LeePie

Wonder Woman
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
My husband and I had a similar issue when we have built our first koi pond. We were following the guide by
Plant Abundance
. We thought it will be cute to have a small pond. Moreover, if we don't have the experience, it's better to start small, right? And we bought too much fish, it was our biggest mistake, we understood it too late. There was not enough space for all koi, and they, unfortunately, died. Miser pays twice, as they say. We started our pond from scratch and put in a more expensive pond liner. The larger size allowed the fish to live a comfortable life.
Now everything is okay, I think our koi live even better than us:sneaky: The picture of our pond you can find in my intro post.
P.S. I guess, somebody still waiting for your pictures :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@LeePie - I'm surprised that I've never run across that YouTube channel. I thought for sure I'd seen them all at this point!

He ends up with a nice looking pond, but I wasn't crazy with the way he rocked the inside. I felt like he had too many flat rocks just leaning up against the walls that could easily fall over if someone or something were to step on them. And his choice of rocks for the pond interior was interesting - too many sharp edges for my comfort. But I know he said those were local and cheap for him to get, so each to their own on that one.

And I also wouldn't recommend laying the liner out flat on the landscape like he did - I know he covered it with gravel, but if you wanted to plant on that edge you wouldn't be able to unless you cut away that liner. So why not just cut it out and be done with it? There are ways to preserve a lot of extra liner without laying it out like that. And if that gravel gets stepped on you'll be constantly re-covering the liner because it will slide around. Plus he had nothing up against the back edge of that lip to really hold it in place.

Just some thoughts for anyone who might be looking at these for inspiration. Like I said - it ends up a nice looking pond, but just a few tweaks I would make.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have had the fish for over a year. How large are they? Their growth may have been stunted from being in too small a container. A 1 year old koi should be at least 8-10 inches unless it is not being fed.
Not necessarily as you know I have a pretty big pond and while most of my koi have trippled in size I have two that have not. They eat like a horse but at three years old they are smaller then 1 year old babies. I beilive there are strains of koi that just don't grow as large as others. Its like the Japanes verse the western koi. While some feel its the waters and the clay ponds I kinda doubt thats the whole story I believe its all in the genes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@LeePie attach your pond to your signature . It adds it to. The link like I and Lisa have. At the bottom of our posts

I have to agree with Lisa if you do have local rocks so long as they are whats referred to as compitent and they're not weathered meaning breaking apart or soft. Then they should be fine just avoid shale and rocks like slate. Placing these thin rocks on edge can easily slice rubber liners. Also he chose to use woven filter fabric not my first choice. Non woven is a better choice in my opinion. And with those thin rocks on edge I would install fabric und we the rocks as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry life has been crazy, but here are the very overdue photos: (they’re a little old)
92CFE2B4-CFCE-406C-9038-8791C7882EA8.jpeg
0B932246-E0B7-4AC3-B9CD-EAD71AD6BF08.jpegF0A452CA-018B-4DAF-9D43-BE811428D43C.jpeg

Ask a Question