buying koi now

Reaction score
if i bought say five or six small koi now and started on my koi pond this spring...how long could i keep them in a fish tank and what size tank and fish would be best. like start them in house and transfer them to pond when done? I am really wanting some ;) now :fish: probably get them cheaper right now as well.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i guess you could get yourself a stocktank to house your fish in, if your dead set on getting some now...then build your filter with the stocktank come the completion of your pond..

Reaction score
so how big would say a 5 inch koi get in one year fed and taken care of properly...i dont want to buy them and then them not have enough space obviously. just cause i want them now dont mean it best for me to get them now and what size tank would i need for say five five inch koi? i would think would be no different than wintering them inside but again i am new to this idea so dont mean i know squat. so feel free to tell me just the way it is...gotta learn some way :fish:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
ymaddox said:
so how big would say a 5 inch koi get in one year fed and taken care of properly...i dont want to buy them and then them not have enough space obviously. just cause i want them now dont mean it best for me to get them now and what size tank would i need for say five five inch koi? i would think would be no different than wintering them inside but again i am new to this idea so dont mean i know squat. so feel free to tell me just the way it is...gotta learn some way :fish:

It all depends on conditions, frequency of feeding, the water quality, food and so on. Then you have some koi that are slow growers. A 5" koi might grow 3 or more inches in a year.

Reaction score
so basically have some patience and wait till my pond is done...gotcha. hard not to want to have them now...spring is a long time away winter not a good time for me no garden, no flower beds, no just going out side in shorts and a tank. i just hibernate like a bear...did however plant some conifers that should add some great winter interest to my yard this last fall, so looking forward to that. I will take a deep breath and have some patience though ;). i'll just hibernate with dh, daughter, and these fellas for now :banana:

Attachments

• 100_2088.jpg
    100_2088.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_2083.jpg
    100_2083.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_2086.jpg
    100_2086.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
My brother bought 2 Koi about 4" - 5" this past spring and has them in a 20 gal aquarium in the house. They have nearly doubled in size. Mine in my pond have not grew at that rate, but they have done very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The problem with creating an environment whether in a fish tank or new pond is that it takes a while for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to be properly processed. It is easy for the fish to get sick if you don't take the proper steps.I would recommend you read about cycling a pond before doing anything. Also I would wait until you build your pond before buying fish and take it slow. I know that doesn't sound like fun, but it's probably the best advice unless you are confident that you can make an indoor tank safe for your koi.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koi in a 20 gallon tank is asking for failure. When your pond is done, put a few feeder goldfish in to start the cycle. Don't risk koi that you care about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dr Dave, You are right. I'm sure you heard about the British pet shop owner who got arrested and was sent to jail for selling a goldfish in a bowl because of cruelty to animal laws they have there. Do you think the workers at Petsmart should do time for selling koi to people who are going to put them in 20 gallon tanks? I see people buying koi all the time in these stores and I am sure most of them have no idea how much space koi really need.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I rescued an 8" Koi that was kept in a 10 gallon tank. On another mission, I rescued 12 koi from a 100 gallon tote. This one at least had 2 big filters going and the water was fairly clean. These fish all have nice ponds to live and swim in now.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
CometKeith said:
Dr Dave, You are right. I'm sure you heard about the British pet shop owner who got arrested and was sent to jail for selling a goldfish in a bowl because of cruelty to animal laws they have there. Do you think the workers at Petsmart should do time for selling koi to people who are going to put them in 20 gallon tanks? I see people buying koi all the time in these stores and I am sure most of them have no idea how much space koi really need.

im with you on that one Keith ...too many people try to put koi in far too small ponds as well :0)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi stoppy, Thats why I stick to goldfish. When people hear I have a pond they always ask if I have koi. When I say no that I have only have goldfish they are always surprised. I think keeping goldfish is much smarter for a small pond. Mine are pretty friendly and always come to me for food when they see me and a lot of them have nice colors. Bigger is not always better. Also thats why I like this forum so much because of all the other goldie pond people. Most groups only talk about koi or fancy goldfish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a nice large pond, but don't want to deal with all of the koi issues. Basic, simple, easy to care for goldies for me.. But the koi are beautiful, just no desire. I commend all that put the effort into them.

Ask a Question