Buying Plants?

Reaction score
Did anyone have a store type place online? I've bought from ebay too, but looking for convience of a store once in awhile too .. the local stores are just about out of pond plants for the season, and not what I am looking for. Highest on my list is "orange sedge" ... I just gave my two away that I got a couple of weeks ago and want to replace them. I asked a store to special order them, and twice, the owner FORGOT ... (and he wonders why I dont do a lot of business with him) ..

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
capewind said:
Did anyone have a store type place online? I've bought from ebay too, but looking for convience of a store once in awhile too .. the local stores are just about out of pond plants for the season, and not what I am looking for. Highest on my list is "orange sedge" ... I just gave my two away that I got a couple of weeks ago and want to replace them. I asked a store to special order them, and twice, the owner FORGOT ... (and he wonders why I dont do a lot of business with him) ..
Kat has an online store. Last week we received one of her bundles. This is our 2nd year purchasing from her.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

We buy aquatic pants from waterLilyGardening.com. Plants always look nice. She has some nice package deals.

Reaction score
Thanks Howard, but all I saw on there were lilies (some really pretty ones too) but I am looking for bog type plants ... really hated giving up my two orange sedges (it's a grass) and want to replace them ...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
gigigreen said:
Ok, that sounds great!! Someone told that plants in pots aren't helpful in fighting string algae, they have to be rooted in pond. do you know if there's any truth in that?
That was me.

Think of it like this. If you have plants in pots you need to fertilize them even though they are in the water. If the plants are not in pots the roots can draw nutrients directly from the water.

The nutrients do not move through the soil in a potted plant fast enough to help.

I had a pond with dozens of potted water lilies that had not been fertilized.. After a few years about 1/2 managed to break out of their pots. The other half nearly died.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CW, can you post a pic of what a orange sedge looks like? Maybe someone has it and doesn't know it? Sounds pretty. I'm sure if you want it back again it did well and you liked it.
I have some different types of Taros' (Colored elephant ears basically) that I can thin for starters and will send for postage. Have lots and lots of mint for the bog too, however I must state, I don't like it, it has taken over my bog this year and has gotten out of control. I also have horses tail, Parrots feather, a dwarf wetlands grass (Not sure of the name, maybe Addy will read this and tell me again,I got it in a trade from her last year). Also have Money wort, yellow poppy, (Likes still water and shade). Over the years I have gotten many starts of new things from trading. I'm always open for a trade with anyone that has something I don't have and sees something they are interested in I have extras of.

As for KAT, be sure and contact her to see what she has. She really only charges minimal cost for her bare rooted plants and I have gotten several starts from here through the years that were always in excellent condition. Yes most of what she has is lilies, but boy does she have some nice ones.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
CW, can you post a pic of what a orange sedge looks like? Maybe someone has it and doesn't know it? Sounds pretty. I'm sure if you want it back again it did well and you liked it.
It's really pretty ... it's real name is 'carex testacea' ... at first in the early spring, it's green, and as it warms up, the tips go to a fiery bronze/orange color ... in the fall, it's all bronze/orange in color ... it isnt a big grass, but 12-16" high and wide ... being a sedge, it's an early feeder for cleaning the pond... posted/attached some pics that I "lifted" from the internet ...

fishin4cars said:
Have lots and lots of mint for the bog too, however I must state, I don't like it, it has taken over my bog this year and has gotten out of control.
I LOVE my mint plants!!!!!! I bought a little 4" pot of it last year, and planted it too late (summer heat) and it really didnt do much. It looked fine, but didnt spread like I had hoped. This year, it came back with a vengence, and loving it so much, that when I found one left on a clearance rack a couple weeks ago, I grabbed it LOL ... I have another mint plant (grows about 12" upright), planted on land, under a Jap Threadleaf Maple (dark red version) for its bright green contrast with the maple ... its right next to the sliding glass door, so on nice days, I can smell the mint inside:) Mint can be evil (super invassive), but for some plants, I'll accept that they'll make me do a bit of work to keep them where I want them ...

fishin4cars said:
As for KAT, be sure and contact her to see what she has. She really only charges minimal cost for her bare rooted plants and I have gotten several starts from here through the years that were always in excellent condition. Yes most of what she has is lilies, but boy does she have some nice ones.
Under bog/marginal plants, it looks from the site like she may be out of stock....

I am also looking for more mare's tail ('hippuris vulgarus') too ... it sort of looks like a cross between an ever green and parrots feather. I got a 4" pot last year, and it has grown quite a bit, but dont want to divide what I have yet for another spot ... would rather get more elsewhere (postage or online store) ...

Attachments

• 1carex-testacea.jpg
    1carex-testacea.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 1carex-testacea2.jpg
    1carex-testacea2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 2carex_testacea.jpg
    2carex_testacea.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 22carex_testacea.jpg
    22carex_testacea.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 242

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will go out tomorrow take pics or what I have, what the name is. I will post under my photo thread, then you can pick what you might want. I have only hardies, don't bother with hyacinths or lettuce. A lot of bog plants a few floaters.

Very pretty sedge capewind.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That orange sedge does look pretty! I looked it up on several places, but got conflicting results (I hate it when that happens!): everything from sun to no sun, and moist soil to not moist soil. So what does it REALLY like?

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
That orange sedge does look pretty! I looked it up on several places, but got conflicting results (I hate it when that happens!): everything from sun to no sun, and moist soil to not moist soil. So what does it REALLY like?
I dont know LOL ... I only had it for a couple of weeks before giving what I had to someone (pond client who gave me over 100 iris and other items, with an invite to come back for more) ... what I can say is while it was here, it was getting full sun, and there was about an inch of water above the roots ... it had new root growth when I pulled it out, and the greens all looked very happy ... I would think if it was unhappy with how/where we had it, in the time there, it would have been going downhill ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
capewind said:
They have it here, 6.95 4 inch
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=1437

ouch 25 bucks shipping

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I would contact Kat even if her web site says she does not have this or that. It could be that the site is out of date or she may have too few to list.

Reaction score
The out of stock item, and the only non-lily items I found, was for a bog/marginal "package" ... and the orange sedge wasnt on that list:-(

My biggest concern with ordering online is to find a "safe" site that's legit ...

Ask a Question