sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have an aerator but hardly ever shut things down here since I live near the NC border .I have a piece of pvc on the bottom of the pond with holes drilled in it that used to have a ball valve on it and a home made spitter made from pvc parts
tanks and bulk head adapters 006.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Whenever we get ours built....it will be an upflow bog, but I want to have the water flow out as a stream with a waterfall. What you show would be a good flow-through, I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
That was a question?
:LOL:I know , I copied your question as a statement then answered the statement. Was in a hurry :confused:
For the pictured stream I lined the stream beds with 2-3 inch goose egg stone and along the perimeter used pea gravel to anchor the plants. The edging was larger stone to set the stream height.
I'm thinking of creating a planting area behind the stone lined edges on the side where the chain link fence is. My current thought is to have the liner extend 1-2 feet beyond the stone perimeter and fill this with pea gravel and plants. Trying to give the illusion of a bog on that side of the stream.
Right now the stream beds are 4-5 feet wide. Based on your advice from another post I will shape the stream to give a meandering affect and have space along side the stone perimeter to create the bog.
Do you think this will work?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I constructed mine similar to the attached plan, only single stream. Note the location of most of the planting areas in relation to the curves of the stream meander. This would afford all of the benefits of a 'bog' and look quite natural. If you have sufficient liner make the planting areas at least one (1) foot deep.
MCCStreamsite.JPG

In addition if you can incorporate pools and riffles (see below) so much better.
pool and riffles.jpg
Stream riffle.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I constructed mine similar to the attached plan, only single stream. Note the location of most of the planting areas in relation to the curves of the stream meander. This would afford all of the benefits of a 'bog' and look quite natural. If you have sufficient liner make the planting areas at least one (1) foot deep.
mccstreamsite-jpg.99339
So is the location for the majority of the bogs at the concave side of the curves? If I am seeing this correct why is this location important? If I'm missing your location point can you please explain further.
For the planting areas at a one foot depth do you vary the gravel/rock size?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So is the location for the majority of the bogs at the concave side of the curves? If I am seeing this correct why is this location important? If I'm missing your location point can you please explain further.
For the planting areas at a one foot depth do you vary the gravel/rock size?

In the first posted plan-If you were to extend the upstream thalweg as a straight line it will generally intersect the midpoint of the stream's perimeter planting areas. This is typically what is found in Nature. It may be due to the seasonal carrying of nutrients into these areas by Spring flooding at at other times of heavy upstream precipitation.

The planting areas can be one size gravel or (as I did) common garden soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
In addition if you can incorporate pools and riffles (see below) so much better.
Several questions here. If I'm understanding what a riffle is my original stream , by accident because until tonight I had no idea what a riffle is, incorporated this . I had areas built up with 3-5 inch goose egg stone that broke the waters surface. I do plan to incorporate this again.
Before seeing your post I had planned to place a 9-12" deep x 2 ft diameter pool under the waterfall that is returning the water to the stream. Is this a good location for a pool?
The total length of the stream will be approx 16 ft and now will be two levels. Not three like pictured in the post. I combined the top and middle levels. That will be 10 ft in length and the lower level will be 6 ft in length. Now that doesn't take into account adding curves so I guess the overall length will be greater. What size should the pools be and how many?
Do you have any pictures you can post of a stream with the bogs ?
Thanks for the illustrations , education and advice .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Several questions here. If I'm understanding what a riffle is my original stream , by accident because until tonight I had no idea what a riffle is, incorporated this . I had areas built up with 3-5 inch goose egg stone that broke the waters surface. I do plan to incorporate this again.
Before seeing your post I had planned to place a 9-12" deep x 2 ft diameter pool under the waterfall that is returning the water to the stream. Is this a good location for a pool?
The total length of the stream will be approx 16 ft and now will be two levels. Not three like pictured in the post. I combined the top and middle levels. That will be 10 ft in length and the lower level will be 6 ft in length. Now that doesn't take into account adding curves so I guess the overall length will be greater. What size should the pools be and how many?
Do you have any pictures you can post of a stream with the bogs ?
Thanks for the illustrations , education and advice .

Referring back to the illustrations. There are basically two (2) types of pools associated with a stream or waterfall.....a 'scour' pool which is at the base of waterfalls and cascades and also following riffles is formed by the 'scouring' of the bottom by the force of the falling water in the former and the turbulent water in the latter. Pools are also formed at the outside of meander bends.
No, I don't have any descriptive photos. All my photos were taken for selling purposes. But here are a couple of examples:
Riffle_Pool.jpg

scenic_stream.jpg

At other times a pool is formed just by the general widening of the stream bed.

The number and size of pools to be incorporated should be dictated first by the number of waterfall, cascades or ripples. Other pools can be added as available space permits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
cant u have bog before the waterfall ? create upflow using the pump outlet pipe then diverting the water that passes thru the bog to waterfall and then to stream ? hope i understood the question

well i agree with ur family lol ur last pond looked pretty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
cant u have bog before the waterfall ? create upflow using the pump outlet pipe then diverting the water that passes thru the bog to waterfall and then to stream ? hope i understood the question
I considered placing the bog along side the stream but really not enough space. The area I have to work with is significantly longer than wide.

well i agree with ur family lol ur last pond looked pretty
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I considered placing the bog along side the stream but really not enough space. The area I have to work with is significantly longer than wide.

Thanks
ok thats my view , i have this type of stream too , basically ur stream will work as bio filter if u lay gravel and add plants and it might catch most of the waste but it will not work as settlement chamber as current will b strong those particle may get disturbed again and mix in and it will pileup at one point then keeps circulating then its impossible to clean it thats why i said if u can have before waterfall , bog needs steady flow and design that cud settle the particles down and separate it from the main stream until they are processed or consumed by plants bacteria and it prevents it from disturbing main pond keeping mud at one pocket/corner which can b cleaned time to time .
u can have one small pool as bog in start then u can place waterfall after it , when u want to clean a bit , u can turn off pump drain this portion as it will b seprate from pond

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
basically ur stream will work as bio filter if u lay gravel and add plants and it might catch most of the waste but it will not work as settlement chamber
Agree my intentions for stream is primarily bio filter. I will have mechanical filtration in 2 skimmer boxes which will also house the pumps and in the waterfall stock tank. I previously had a heavily planted stream along the margins that contributed to bio filtration and some mechanical as the roots would trap detritus.
I will attempt to set up a couple small bogs along the margins as discribed above by @Meyer Jordan post 19.

Ask a Question