Can any type goldfish live in a pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm in a quandary. I have a 65 gallon tank that I am probably going to make into a salt aquarium. My question is my goldfish, can he survive in a pond in zone 7? I'm assuming he's a common goldfish(see pic). I was thinking of moving him to a smaller tank and giving him a friend (another Goldie) along with three Glofish, but figured I'd need another 65 gallon tank for that. What tank size would be right for that load, or could he live outside year round?

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
Of course he can live outside if you give him a proper pond. However, I wouldn't suggest moving him outside until spring. Goldfish can live happily under ice, but they need the gradual cooling that occurs in the fall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are outside year round zone 6b, I do not have fancy goldfish, i.e those bubble eyes etc, they don't do as well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I am also in zone 7 in Washington state and my goldfish all live out there just fine year round. I have comets and Shubunkins. I would add them to the pond when your weather is warmer in the Spring or Summer.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
He looks ok to live outside, but I concur with the others. Wait til Spring. It'll be too much of a change to go from indoor to outdoor right now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep right now he is used to warmth and sure could be a shock to him if he went out now .He will be asking for fishy long johns :cheerful:

Reaction score
He's my buddy and I would in no way even consider moving him till the pond and tank water temps matched. In fact after further consideration I couldn't Put him outside. He's too much family:)). He'll stay right where he is and I'm going to get another larger tank for salties!!

Ask a Question