Can anyone identify?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, all. We have this green stuff growing in our pond. Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? We also have several bunches of the tall plant pictured, and we are wondering if this is a real plant or just some kind of weed (this one is not growing in the water).
0E454D16-F231-4C9D-BAD4-3848BA02923F.jpeg
787E7636-724C-4524-AF7F-73EED70F5789.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never seen anything like that alien looking stuff in your pond, yikes!

I don't know where you live but around here I have never seen weeds like that. Looks kinda like it is gonna be trees or some kind of bush.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s everywhere throughout the pond. There’s tons of it. And we can’t decide whether to pull the tall plants out or let them grow!

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd either take a sample into a nursery in your area or let them grow. Might turn out to be something really nice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks different than Milkweed to me tho but then maybe there are different kinds of leaves on the different species.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I THINK it had those flowers on it earlier in the year, but I can’t remember now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well if it is and it isn't in a place where you mind it growing it would be nice to have to attract the butterflies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely! It’s fine where it is, I just don’t want to grow it and tend to it if it’s just a weed! I love the idea of attracting butterflies though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You know what they say...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As someone else here said, weeds are plants too.
We have all kinds of "weeds" growing around our pond. In fact there's one that grew right out of our waterfall rocks. I don't know what it is, but its green and grew real tall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As someone else here said, weeds are plants too.
lol you should see my yard, milkweed, swampweed, joe prye weed, goldenrod, anything is allowed to grow. Most of the plants help all the beneficial bugs, bees, pollinators. Will admit my flower "beds" are not like a true flower garden.

Ask a Question