can anyone identity this koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah I'm the same I only have to sell on when I get overstocked cause they have baby's on me I just live in not a very good area and recently a friend had people steal some koi out of the pond so iv installed cctv and getting insurance on them but need to what they are to get a value on them,
Sad world we live in sometimes ☹
It sure is a sad world. zero respect for anyone or even life itself!

Unlike you, I do NOT like to find babies! ...not because I wouldn't like them, but because I don't have time to catch them, sell them and most important I don't want to show the whole world where they could find free koi

To drastically reduce (or completely eliminate) the number of fry I've decided years ago to separate plants and fish, so that most if not all eggs get eaten. I've never had more than 5 babies in an entire season since.
My new pond under construction is designed the very same way, with a separate pool for all the plants, even though it would look so much better with plants in both pools, I rather not.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@j and d We are seeing your koi pictures, but just realized....you haven’t told us anything about your pond! We really enjoy hearing about other members’ ponds, and we love pictures of ponds! Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us a little about yourself and your pond set-up. How big is your pond? How long have you been a hobbyist? How many koi do you have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It sure is a sad world. zero respect for anyone or even life itself!

Unlike you, I do NOT like to find babies! ...not because I wouldn't like them, but because I don't have time to catch them, sell them and most important I don't want to show the whole world where they could find free koi

To drastically reduce (or completely eliminate) the number of fry I've decided years ago to separate plants and fish, so that most if not all eggs get eaten. I've never had more than 5 babies in an entire season since.
My new pond under construction is designed the very same way, with a separate pool for all the plants, even though it would look so much better with plants in both pools, I rather not.

I know everyone’s experience is different but I have a pond full of both fish and plants and rarely have more than one or two new babies a year. This is the first year that I think we have a koi fry that survived - he’s still too shy to be sure but the body shape looks like a koi. I’m always curious why we all have these different results - my koi spawn every year at LEAST once, but we’ve never had a koi born in the pond and live to tell the tale!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How old approximately are koi when they first spawn? Hoping I will not be trying a bunch of fry next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ours started about year three that we noticed. It may have happened earlier, but once your koi get to a certain size it's UNMISTAKABLE what's going on. Our goldfish spawned almost as soon as we got them in the pond - haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mine are less than a year old so I have a while yet. I like have a small number of fish, it's less worry. @Gemma brings up a good point if mine have babies I don't plan on advertising my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know everyone’s experience is different but I have a pond full of both fish and plants and rarely have more than one or two new babies a year. This is the first year that I think we have a koi fry that survived - he’s still too shy to be sure but the body shape looks like a koi. I’m always curious why we all have these different results - my koi spawn every year at LEAST once, but we’ve never had a koi born in the pond and live to tell the tale!
You're one of the lucky ones I guess!:)
I on the other hand, remember what it was like having to lower the water and stress all my fish, trying to catch babies. It was a stressful, time consuming and labor intensive ordeal, and so for years I only kept males and re-homed all the females, but parting with my koi got harder and harder each time, until 2yrs ago I could no longer do it, that's when I moved to the next best thing which was to clear the pond of everything eggs could hide in, or under.

Would I recommend separating plants from fish? No I would not! ...it just doesn't work for me in my own pond :)

Ask a Question