can anyone identity this koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Thanks for your reply someone had a look at him and said hes a kage shiro utsuri and suppose he does look like one,
Do you think he is one.
I'm familiar with Shiro Utsuri (ki Utsuru, Hi Utsuri) but I've never even heard of the term "Kage" , perhaps it is a new term (breed) or a different way to name koi used outside of the US.(?)
Either way I'm sorry, but my knowledge is far too basic to help you further.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who's the "someone" @j and d ? Do you have reason to think they may not know what they're talking about?

We'd love to see the pond this guy is in!
It was someone who wants to buy him off me desperately lol I just like to be sure that's all iv looked in to it more and think that is what he is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm familiar with Shiro Utsuri (ki Utsuru, Hi Utsuri) but I've never even heard of the term "Kage" , perhaps it is a new term (breed) or a different way to name koi used outside of the US.(?)
Either way I'm sorry, but my knowledge is far too basic to help you further.
Kage shiro utsuri koi - a koi whose black and white utsuri pattern is overlaid buy a kage pattern on white markings.
Kage basically means shadowing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Kage shiro utsuri koi - a koi whose black and white utsuri pattern is overlaid buy a kage pattern on white markings.
Kage basically means shadowing
I did some reading, as expected like with a lot of other koi related things I found a different meaning than what you found.
According to my reading the word "kage" in this particular case (Kage Shiro Utsuri) is used to describe the "raised" Sumi (black)...which of the two definitions is the correct one it really doesn't matter much, I did a search on kage Shiro Utsuri and I'd say yes, the description does fit the look of your koi (I even compared the scales) and that's all that matters at this point.

Thank you for posting this thread, and giving me the chance to learn something new! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some reading, as expected like with a lot of other koi related things I found a different meaning than what you found.
According to my reading the word "kage" in this particular case (Kage Shiro Utsuri) is used to describe the "raised" Sumi (black)...which of the two definitions is the correct one it really doesn't matter much, I did a search on kage Shiro Utsuri and I'd say yes, the description does fit the look of your koi (I even compared the scales) and that's all that matters at this point.

Thank you for posting this thread, and giving me the chance to learn something new! :)
Yeah true there's always at least two different answers to koi related things, it always leaves me confused

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah true there's always at least two different answers to koi related things, it always leaves me confused
Lol yeah that!
Don't get me wrong I do want to learn more about koi, because I have them, I think they're amazing and love them to bitz, but mine is just a hobby, and I want it to be fun hobby, not work!
.... so I'm ok only knowing a few basics, especially if after hours of researching and studying I'd still end up with different results
smlaughing5.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lol yeah that!
Don't get me wrong I do want to learn more about koi, because I have them, I think they're amazing and love them to bitz, but mine is just a hobby, and I want it to be fun hobby, not work!
.... so I'm ok only knowing a few basics, especially if after hours of researching and studying I'd still end up with different results View attachment 116383
Yeah I'm the same I only have to sell on when I get overstocked cause they have baby's on me I just live in not a very good area and recently a friend had people steal some koi out of the pond so iv installed cctv and getting insurance on them but need to what they are to get a value on them,
Sad world we live in sometimes ☹

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I know nothing about koi, have pretty shubunkins, hope they never steal your fish!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard other people mention koi being stolen out of ponds and I'm like "but how do they CATCH them?":LOL:
I wondered that aswel and wasn't bothered till it happened to my mate crazy isn't it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorting pond for winter and fitting a new heater and found these baby's
WP_20180930_053.jpg

I love finding new baby's

Ask a Question