can I glue pea gravel to pvc liner?

Reaction score
I'm building a stream using a pvc liner. I know there are ways to do it so the liner won't show, but I'm past that now. I have some sections of visible liner that are at a 45 degree slope, and I need a way to glue very small pea gravel to the liner. I've tried 3M super 77 spray adhesive, and the gravel just slides off. Is there some kind of brush on glue that will work, or does anyone have something else that has worked for them? Thanks for any help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want to use pea gravel you need to use something like pl roof flashing sealant, silicone, urethane based caulking / sealant

let it get a little tacky, stick a few rocks on a time.

rock on a roll would work great too like pondmaster states

Reaction score
It seems to me that it's difficult to get much of anything to stick securely to PVC. Everything I've tried (waterfall foam & some silicone caulks) peeled right off after drying.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
It seems to me that it's difficult to get much of anything to stick securely to PVC. Everything I've tried (waterfall foam & some silicone caulks) peeled right off after drying.

I had the same issue, trying to fix our boot leak. Finally used 5200 marine sealant. That stuff worked and it sticks. You need to let it cure for a day if not longer. It is white. The other thing I have used, (not sure of fish safeness) is sealer mate, home depot. It sticks once dried, used to fix gutter leaks.
The other thing that has worked well for me is pl construction glue (tubes) once dry it is there and sticks like a rock lol

Snap10.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ddaquaria said:
im new at this so it may sound crazy, but what about the glue used to repair the liner?

Never used it by why not lol

Reaction score
addy1 said:
The other thing that has worked well for me is pl construction glue (tubes) once dry it is there and sticks like a rock

addy, I want to make sure I've got this right. You're talking about the plain old PL construction glue? A light tan color, very similar to Liquid Nail?

I used several tubes of the PL Construction Adhesive for gluing the carpet together before dropping in the EPDM liner, but haven't used any on the fish side of the pond. Is that where you used it? Where the fish were exposed?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Telkwa said:
addy, I want to make sure I've got this right. You're talking about the plain old PL construction glue? A light tan color, very similar to Liquid Nail?

I used several tubes of the PL Construction Adhesive for gluing the carpet together before dropping in the EPDM liner, but haven't used any on the fish side of the pond. Is that where you used it? Where the fish were exposed?

Pl premium construction adhesive, 100% polyurethane, which in reading different posts seems to be ok for fishes.
water and weather proof. I do not have fish yet, and yes I used it on the fish side of the liner.

I let it get tacky, then attach the items together. You might need to support things till it drys a little.

Ask a Question