Glue for rocks? Foam removel?

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some ideas on how to bond my rocks together other then the foam. I just need a little adhesive that won't expand. It is for the upper most rocks that will be in the water. I'm not the best foamer and can't get the expanding part correct, I really don't want to see black foam between my pretty rocks near the top. I'm thinking like tube or chalk type glue that I can control. I just want to secure them together so they aren't falling in on the fish.

As a side question that has to do with foam....., what do ya do if your rocks are foamed together and for whatever reason you need to take them out. How do you get the foam away from the liner? Does it damage the liner? Just curious as I'm thinking of what catastrophes might be in the future and how to deal with them.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would try using a tube of clear marine grade silicone in a caulk gun to bond them together. We used mortar to bond many of our rocks and boulders in place but our pond and waterfall/stream bed are concrete.

Perhaps someone more qualified can help you with your foam/liner questions. Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The foam pops off the liner, with a good pull, no damage.
I have used foam and have also used pl roofing goop, The roofing stuff holds harder but can still be removed with a good yank.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for that question, Lisa, as I was about to ask the same thing.

My question was how to attach flat stone to the liner around my turtle-bog -- but I always like the option to be able to remove it later. The surround and edge of their bog is made with cinderblock, so the top is flat, Right now it's just the bare liner, but I felt it the other day and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! I'll bet the turtles have been avoiding their bog during the daytime [I wouldn't want to walk on it!], so it's time to cover it for them. I might try a squirt or 2 of the foam first, to see how that works. I just need for the flat stones to stay in place and not slip off into the bog or go the other way when the turts walk on it.

Reaction score
The foam pops off the liner, with a good pull, no damage.
I have used foam and have also used pl roofing goop, The roofing stuff holds harder but can still be removed with a good yank.
Oh thank goodness, I've been concerned about the bottom section that is foamed in. I know I have to secure these heavy rocks or my 3 foot pond will quickly become a 1 or 2 footer! I will go with the goop or silicone for my upper rocks.

We do have a septic tank in the back yard and I stayed clear of it, but I've seen what can happen to a yard when a new tank is put in!!!! If anything catastrophic does happen I will look for the silver lining and make it bigger next time!!

Reaction score

My question was how to attach flat stone to the liner around my turtle-bog -- but I always like the option to be able to remove it later. The surround and edge of their bog is made with cinderblock, so the top is flat, Right now it's just the bare liner, but I felt it the other day and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! I'll bet the turtles have been avoiding their bog during the daytime [I wouldn't want to walk on it!], so it's time to cover it for them. I might try a squirt or 2 of the foam first, to see how that works. I just need for the flat stones to stay in place and not slip off into the bog or go the other way when the turts walk on it.
I was a bit nervous to ask. I am learning how to search and find old posts but couldn't find the exact situation. I know how HOT those liners get! I can't work in my liner pit during the sun hours because I feel like I'm gonna faint. It takes a bit to cool down also. usually 5 p.m. is the start of my night shift! Hope you get your answer as well.

Reaction score

hi there

hi there, i did a search for rock lue and found lots of info..

Reaction score
@Lisaebetten Hi there, to you as well :)
Ha! I was working off my phone and that is why I have a HI there to ya!!! Did you find info on your gluing that will work for you? I have found several options. I was thinking about the rock on a roll for my steeper walls but found some thin flat rocks and foamed them in. Now I want to work with something that isn't foamy for my top visual rocks. I am a HORRIBLE foamer.

Ask a Question