Can I use filter media in my strainer basket?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a No-Niche skimmer in the pond and another strainer basket right before the pump. Can I use polyfill in a mesh bag or some other polishing pad in my strainer basket that's right before the pump? I want to polish the water.

Attachments

• 2023-04-14.png
    2023-04-14.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 2

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You can but in my mind you will be constantly cleaning it, as it is going to catch a bunch of crap in the water column quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agreed. We have a small pump with a pre filter that we used to run a box filter one summer - that thing was a 3x a day cleaning job. And honestly I could have done it 6x a day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I agree w/the above, that prefilter with the polyfill will build up too fast.
This is my temporary fines cleaner that I use now and then. It builds up in less then an hour or so and then have to take it all out, clean it and then put back together. It is a long job!
Once it gets full the water does not go through the polyfill, just flows out the holes so it is not doing any good till it gets cleaned again and again and again.

IMG_5795.JPG

Ask a Question