Sourcing questions? (Where to buy filter media, fish supplies, equipment, etc.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! I’m working on a new build (first timer) and I’m trying to do everything as budget friendly as possible without skimping on the quality. I’m specifically working on my shower filter right now, and I’m torn when it comes to my “high quality media” box. Pumice and biohome are both CRAZY expensive when it comes to trying to fill a shower filter bin everywhere I’m looking. I know they’re going to be expensive no matter what, but where do you guys purchase your media from? I live in a fairly rural area, so we have a Lowe’s, PetsMart, and Walmart locally, and I’m about 1hr from the nearest city, 1.5-2hr from the nearest BIG city.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Webbs Water gardens- online, great prices. I use Savio filters in addition to bogs so love their Springflo bio filter media. Its pricey but lasts forever and really easy to clean.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Webbs Water gardens- online, great prices. I use Savio filters in addition to bogs so love their Springflo bio filter media. Its pricey but lasts forever and really easy to clean.

Hm, do you know if it works for nitrates as well, or just ammonia and nitrites? I’ll get plenty of the latter from the bioballs and lava rock I plan to use, so I’m really looking for anaerobic friendly media.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Second, mrsclems recommendation of Webb’s for a lot of dry goods. Justliners.com for liner and underlay...

Agree with What has already been said about reducing nitrates. The only other way as you were hinting at is creating an anaerobic layer where denitrifying bacteria reside. Problem is if you disturb this layer it can release some nasty stuff into water column. Best in a pond to use plants to reduce nitrates as was mentioned.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as I know, the best media for reducing nitrates is plants!
Yep, plants and water changes. Not sure (but I might be wrong) that nitrates don’t go anywhere, so if you don’t have plants, the only other way to eliminate them is through water changes.
Second, mrsclems recommendation of Webb’s for a lot of dry goods. Justliners.com for liner and underlay...

Agree with What has already been said about reducing nitrates. The only other way as you were hinting at is creating an anaerobic layer where denitrifying bacteria reside. Problem is if you disturb this layer it can release some nasty stuff into water column. Best in a pond to use plants to reduce nitrates as was mentioned.
Good to note, thanks everyone! I’ll be adding a small bog filter as well, so hopefully those can catch some of the nitrates, then. I plan to be diverting the waste water from changes to a holding tank and using it for my garden, so hopefully I can find a nice rhythm of filters vs water changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Good to note, thanks everyone! I’ll be adding a small bog filter as well
Check out addy's bog showcase:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

And my add-on bog build:

A lot of us here filter strictly with a bog. No other filters or UV lights.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out addy's bog showcase:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

And my add-on bog build:

A lot of us here filter strictly with a bog. No other filters or UV lights.

Thanks for the link! Tons of great info. I may be able to skip the shower filter, or at least make it much smaller and place it after the bog. That’ll save me tons in materials.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I filter with only a big bog. Never have any pond issues, green water excess algae or bad water tests. Bogs rule!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the link! Tons of great info. I may be able to skip the shower filter, or at least make it much smaller and place it after the bog. That’ll save me tons in materials.
Yep, don't waste your time and money. Build a bog and never look back.
Suggested sizing of your bog is determined by your pond's surface area. The bogs surface area should be at least 30% of your pond's surface area.
Mine is a little larger and the filtering is phenomenal, even with my overpopulated pond. My fish keep reproducing. At 30%, my bog's surface area should be about 60 square feet. When finished it came out to about 70.

The water is amazingly clear. All last summer it was green like pea soup. It never cleared up, and that was with two pressure filters and one UV light.

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
Well I finally got my stock trough pond up & running, & the huge goldfish transferred! Sadly, the 100* plus weather we’ve had killed 3 of the 5 old fish before we could move them.
(Of course our Border Collies were disappointed that it wasn’t a swimming pool), so the picket fence surround was a good afterthought! 3A1588FC-A338-4107-9477-F439168F5F38.jpeg

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
Does anyone use a UV light as an algea deterrent? I bought one, but it looks larger & more complicated than the one I’d looked at. Do the do the job? We’ve already got string algea forming in this Ca. heat.
Thanks, 64EC69F3-9237-4D8A-843E-3893F87B6A69.jpegDenni64EC69F3-9237-4D8A-843E-3893F87B6A69.jpeg

Denise T

In ground pool converted to fish pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I filter with only a big bog. Never have any pond issues, green water excess algae or bad water tests. Bogs rule!
I second this! When we added our big we eliminated all algae and clarity issues.

Ask a Question