Can someone point me to the Algae-101 post(s)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
P.s. ^^^^^^

There may even be additional layer of liner on top of the pond liner and beneath the stepping stone, doubled up... I forget it’s been 17 years since I originally built the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got my skimmer rig going, and the aerator is hooked up in a temporary fashion until they (AirMax) send me the new longer hose. Things are looking better and string algae seems to be looking less vibrant these days. Just put my second dose of NUALGI in a couple, hours f days ago... I think that stuff might be really good stuff!
Stirred up the water some doing the skimmer, but otherwise the water is really clear.
YouTube video, about 10 seconds long, and a couple pics of the same.

B740143C-E2FD-45ED-92FC-ABE26D319D93.jpeg

48951C5A-90FC-4C90-B596-100E331F69AE.jpeg

// Radar //

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
how sure are of the fish count?

are you feeding the fish multiple times a day?

you need more shade from plants.... sunlight promotes algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
you need more shade from plants.... sunlight promotes algae

@RadarContact1 did mention a shade sail earlier but more plants would definitely help. You'll continue to fight algae unless you complete the eco-system - fish, water, plants. You have two our of three right now, so nature is providing the third in the form of algae. I've heard Nualgi works, but it's only addressing the symptom, not the cause.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants plants plants they really do help. I never have green water, minimal algae, filter with only plants. Never treat with any chemicals

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I’ve got the two irises, but need more, I know. Thanks!

P.s.
Haven’t fed the fish in many many weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plants plants plants they really do help. I never have green water, minimal algae, filter with only plants. Never treat with any chemicals
Any particular plants you’d recommend?
I had some water shading ones years ago, but I couldn’t see the fish, so I didn’t see the point. My irises got so big they took over half my pond. That was last year, I have since removed 95% of them and just kept the two (pieces) I have now. There was literally 1,000 (wet) pounds of iris... 15’x8’x3’ total. It was crazy!
My plant shelf is about 12” deep and about the same in width.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are definitely plants that will take over if you don't manage them - irises being one of them. But there are many that are more well behaved - or at least easier to control. We have bog bean, parrots feather, arrow plant, lizard tongue, water celery, forget-me-not, and a variety of rushes and reeds that all do well and are relatively easy to control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are definitely plants that will take over if you don't manage them - irises being one of them. But there are many that are more well behaved - or at least easier to control. We have bog bean, parrots feather, arrow plant, lizard tongue, water celery, forget-me-not, and a variety of rushes and reeds that all do well and are relatively easy to control.
Are these plants that can possibly be bought at a local nursery, or are they specialty pond-specific internet type items? Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Many nurseries carry pond plants, at least in our area. You can also find plants at regular nurseries that may not be sold as pond plants but will work - specifically rushes, reeds, sedges, etc. Look for things that are labeled as liking moist growing conditions.

I would also suggest you check Craigslist for people who may be thinking out plants and have things to give away. Once pond plants get going, you will always have way more than you need.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Many nurseries carry pond plants, at least in our area. You can also find plants at regular nurseries that may not be sold as pond plants but will work - specifically rushes, reeds, sedges, etc. Look for things that are labeled as liking moist growing conditions.

I would also suggest you check Craigslist for people who may be thinking out plants and have things to give away. Once pond plants get going, you will always have way more than you need.
Good call, I’ll do that.

On another subject...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got some water lettuce for the pond. Hopefully it grows and spreads quickly. Also put up an umbrella to try to shade it more until the string algae problem is conquered.

Ask a Question