Can Taro be winterized?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@DrCase wow! I love that plant in your pic.!

My plants were in water, so no digging and cleaning is needed... all I did, was lifting them and put them on cardboard in the garage so they can dry out, I do the same with my Cannas!
Since we are discussing winterizing plants, do you guys think I can use this method to save Geraniums? (I posted about this in the Gardening Forum, but I got no reply:()

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine where in my bog, they came out real easy. My dear hubby yanked them out for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my bulbs were so big it took 4 of us to move them and even then it was hard .Since living here all i have done is take babies out of the ground and gave a lot of them away .I have been feeding them miracle grow now .Soil was real rich from leaf mulch in NJ and the last 2 years of living there i did not dig it up I just added more leaf mulch .When I moved here I dug the biggest ones up to bring with me .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@sissy I imagine if the bulbs are so large, the leaves must be huge, next year I would love to see pictures:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they went into shock when moved from NJ to VA back in 2004 and almost lost them .Hubby moved down herewith everything and I did not come down until November of that year and afraid he neglected them .He had no clue what to do with them and just put them in the basement .Most of the bulbs rotted because of it .This year they were not as big as last year and it has taken me years to get them to come back to what they were .I salvaged most of the babies at least .I am now concentrated on my black ones and the banana plants .I am growing mini black ones and the larger ones

Attachments

• 100_8247.JPG
    100_8247.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_8852.JPG
    100_8852.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 100_8741.JPG
    100_8741.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 272

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since we are discussing winterizing plants, do you guys think I can use this method to save Geraniums
For geraniums I have always let them dry out, clean off the roots and store them upside down in paper bags someplace cool and dry. Not sure why it works but it does. They will start to sprout in the spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For geraniums I have always let them dry out, clean off the roots and store them upside down in paper bags someplace cool and dry. Not sure why it works but it does. They will start to sprout in the spring.
Thank you!
...we had our first frost last night, I pulled them up just in time! I cleaned them up, clipped the tips and store them upside down in a cardboard box, I hope they survive!

Ask a Question